ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Resources for learning git?

<< < (9/11) > >>

ewemoa:
Why not?
-Tuxman (October 05, 2015, 03:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don'r recall clearly :)

I think it had to do with a hiatus and having picked up git along the way.

ewemoa:
I really like some of the ideas behind Git (such as how blobs automatically handle de-duplication of data), but I hate the tools I've used to try to interact with Git.
-Deozaan (October 06, 2015, 07:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which ones have you tried?

I also wasn't too happy with many of the tools I tried -- a couple that helped a fair bit though were SmartGit(Hg) and magit.  These days the command line seems sufficient for many tasks, but while still learning the ropes, I found the aforementioned tools to be handy.

f0dder:
No, it does not. Unless you have a weird definition of "native".-Tuxman (October 06, 2015, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
What is your definition of native? What makes the Windows version of Git disqualify as being native?

Tuxman:
Last time I checked, the Windows version of git was a weird cross-compiled Cygwin build.

f0dder:
Last time I checked, the Windows version of git was a weird cross-compiled Cygwin build.-Tuxman (October 09, 2015, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dunno if I've ever seen that - but even if I'm not a fan of Cygwin, that would still classify as native.

And all the Windows builds of Git I've used have been MinGW builds, anyway - and it's what https://git-scm.com/ offers. Yes, that's a big package that includes a bunch of unixy tools, and it would be nice if there was a minimal package that included just the necessary core commandline tools.

But hey, Mercurial requires Python, so that's even less "native" :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version