ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Has SEO ruined the web?

<< < (5/10) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Okay, so noting this mine field, what advice would be offered to one trying to get a website positioned correctly for the topic its content is relevant to?

(Bear with me, I know this is only vaguely on topic)

I ask because I'm currently in the process of redoing the company website which we've never really tried drawing attention to...because it's hidious. The new site which will (hopefully be non-hidious) feature online shopping while showcasing the company (yada yada yada) will need to be created with the SEO madness in mind.

So... any advice on what I should/should not do/be doing?

Paul Keith:
Well there's this: http://www.marketsamurai.com/ but they also host lots of interesting things in their blog. (Sometimes free. I tried a free program made by another person that was promoted in their blog but I forgot the name and I didn't use it much.)

I don't think it's a minefield as much as necessity but I don't even have my own domain to verify the outcome.

From what I gather though, it's mostly backlinks and linkpages and being on the popular social networking pages although I think being on youtube and having a series of videos with lots of views edges out everything else except maybe Wikipedia if you can find a way to be notable and not be seen as spam.

Edit: I also heard this search engine mentioned but I don't know how reliable it is nowadays.

40hz:
Google is just one more sad example of how there has never been a system so respected, useful, or worthwhile that somebody didn't eventually show up and start gaming it for their own advantage.

It's even sadder when the people who created the system start doing it themselves.

And many do. :-\

superboyac:
Google is just one more sad example of how there has never been a system so respected, useful, or worthwhile that somebody didn't eventually show up and start gaming it for their own advantage.

It's even sadder when the people who created the system start doing it themselves.

And many do. :-\
-40hz (June 03, 2010, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes.  Sometimes, i take a step back and just nod because you have to expect it.  Not only expect it, but understand that that is just human nature.  heck, I shouldn't even be mad about it.  The end result is frustrating for me as a user, but I guess I don't have a beef with reasons behind it.  I'm not above saying that I probably would do the same thing if I were in their shoes.  Who knows?

rgdot:
The answer to the thread title is yes, a good example to illustrate it is something I was doing just yesterday.
I was searching for an online stream of a soccer game not available on TV (putting aside the illegalities of streaming) google search results gave me pages and pages of "team x vs team y June 2 2010". I will let you all guess how many of those pages actually had the stream for the game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version