ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Are my EBook Reader dreams going to be answered in 2010? A full size reader?

<< < (9/10) > >>

steeladept:
I still think the Barnes and Noble Nook is the best one out there - size, features, and price-wise.  It is slow turning the pages too, I think it is something with the e-Ink technology - they are all slow.  That said, I still think they are all too high priced for a proprietary (mostly anyway) version of a book.  If I have to pay at or near the same price, for the book (in many cases), plus the high cost of the device, and the publisher (not the writer) gets that nice profit boost from the lack of printing costs (the highest cost anyway), then no.  Give me the paper.  Then I can read it anywhere and it is cheaper to replace if I loose/break it.

cmpm:
The price drop could be due to an upcoming release.
Which usually happens like this.

But it also could be because of the ipad.

I'm not sure of why the price drop.
But I am sure there is a substantial reason.
What that reason is, I can only guess I guess.

ljbirns:
The price drops are to establish which e-reader is going to be the big dog.  The DX price was too close to the iPad price and doesn't have as many functions.
There will be further price drops as  we get to November  and  new and improved readers from both Amazon and B & N.

mouser:
There will be further price drops as  we get to November  and  new and improved readers from both Amazon and B & N.
--- End quote ---

do you expect a new DX sized ebook reader from amazon in november? if so please let me know so i dont buy one now.

ljbirns:
The electronic reader and e-books is a major upheaval ( like the electronic game systems - Nintendo etc changed the toy industry ) in the book business. The publishers all have a big stake in how this shakes out. The two big retailers , Amazon and B & N, also have a huge stake in this.
I think there will be new readers both from Amazon and from B & N.   (The DX  was not a big seller -  probably because of price.)
My guess would be a screen size around 7.5  - 8 inch diagonal  screen   about the size of the print  area  in a hardcover book.
Now, I am not an insider.  I am retired from  the retail  toy business.  I see parallels with the electronic game systems ( from pong to Wii )
This is what I think will happen.  I am going to wait until November - December before I buy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version