ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Release: Open Menu

<< < (3/12) > >>

JavaJones:
Waiting times will be *highly* variable. I think simple flags like "sit down" vs. "counter" or whatever would be a better indicator of speed. But this starts to get out of the realm of info about the *menu* and get into info about the *restaurant*, which may be more the realm of something like Yelp. At the very least it would be a part of a different descriptor format for restaurants, of which the menu format might be a part, but that starts to get pretty ambitious.

The vegetarian, allergen, etc. info is good. You'll never, ever get restaurants to agree to ingredient lists, at least not most of them, but basic nutrition info is nice to have. Likely you will only ever see big chains having that info anyway.

Incidentally I wonder how this interacts with something like http://www.menupages.com/

- Oshyan

Veign:
I think menupages.com would love the spec since it means they could easily adapt their website to any city with ease.  The whole rub for this is adoption.  I have to build enough tools to show restaurants why they need to adopt this idea.

JavaJones:
Yeah, that's my sense as well. MenuPages, Yelp, GrubHub and many others would probably appreciate this, if/when it got going. That's the beauty of it is it's fundamentally enabling, not (necessarily) competitive with anyone.

Lack of good tools is often a problem with good standards. There are enough tools that potentially need to be developed that it's probably important to prioritize. Figure out what would drive adoption best and focus on enabling that with the core tools needed.

- Oshyan

app103:
Modified the specification to include three new fields:
- vegetarian
- calories
- allergy information
-Veign (December 29, 2009, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

You might want to add kosher and halal to that. Some major religions have dietary laws and this info is something their adherents would want to know about various menu items.

And while something may be vegetarian (no dead animals), it may not be vegan (no animals or animal products like eggs or dairy), so you might want to add that, as well.

app103:
Your database page is a little confusing. It mentions PAD files and applications. It doesn't seem as if it was meant for submitting OMF menus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version