ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Make Firefox startup faster.

<< < (7/9) > >>

MilesAhead:
@f0dder I don't think it's anything to launch Congressional Hearings over or anything.  It just smacks of the same annoying attitude like with undocumented APIs.  Like, we put these functions in the OS for programmers to use them, but we won't tell you about them unless you're on the short list.  Kind of like stock market insider trading.  That there were actually reputable books with the title "Undocumented Windows" kind of tells the story.  It's just annoying.  Like for a long time it was sort of a big secret how to program cool shell extensions.  Same thing.

It's one thing if you won't publish the source code to the OS. It's another if you don't even document the function calls!! Sheesh!!!

CleverCat:
If you use CCleaner this compacting has been added. Don't know when but it is there now. Works on all sqlite files.

-Bamse (December 30, 2009, 02:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Must try that!  :Thmbsup:

Bamse:
I know Placescleaner work inside browser but not sure about CCleaner. Perhaps best to take notice of Tuxmans concern and close Firefox before "cleaning". Those sqlite files can get corrupted and unless you know someone capable of editing only fix is to delete.

f0dder:
It's one thing if you won't publish the source code to the OS. It's another if you don't even document the function calls!! Sheesh!!!-MilesAhead (December 30, 2009, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
While I agree that some of the undocumented function calls should have been formalized & documented, I don't necessarily agree that everything should be documented & exposed to the world. Encapsulation and abstraction...

MilesAhead:
It's one thing if you won't publish the source code to the OS. It's another if you don't even document the function calls!! Sheesh!!!-MilesAhead (December 30, 2009, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
While I agree that some of the undocumented function calls should have been formalized & documented, I don't necessarily agree that everything should be documented & exposed to the world. Encapsulation and abstraction...
-f0dder (December 31, 2009, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think "Undocumented API" is on just about everyone's list of oxymorons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version