ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Apple "blocking" VLC Media Player

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
You can see why, as hair-pulling as it can be, some people get tempted to Linux or one of the other free unix clones.  You can even recompile the kernel if you don't like it the way it is.  :)

cranioscopical:
Like many others, I'd cheerfully buy a 'slate' if it appears EXCEPT that I don't want to be held hostage by Apple.

CleverCat:
You can try to reason with them, negotiate with them, cajole them, plead with them - or even threaten them. But it always ends up being a complete waste of your time. Jerks are jerks because they like being jerks. And they very rarely change.
-40hz (December 26, 2009, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

The actor Yul Brynner was best known for playing the King in The King and I.  Anyway, one thing I'll never forget is his comment on a talk show.  He was asked if he learned anything useful during his Asian studies.  He replied to the effect, "The best bit of wisdom I learned was... never deal with idiots.  You can only deal with idiots on their level.  And they are much better on their level than you can ever be."

-MilesAhead (December 31, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good one! Simply put....

(Matthew 7:6)
. . .neither throw YOUR pearls before swine, . . .

zridling:
Reminds me somewhat of the ebook/kindle technology. I pulled a book off the shelf that I haven't read in 29 years yesterday. There it was, in good condition, no DRM, no revocation by "Big Corp." no outdated proprietary formats that killed it. Just open and read. And 29 years from now, I'll still have my book and I'll reread it then, free of charge, without having to purchase expensive technology to enjoy it.

Call it Occam's revenge.

mouser:
just remember, all it takes is one house fire or having to move twice in a year to convert the hardcore lp and book collector into an avid supporter of digital media :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version