ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for list of read-only editors

<< < (3/4) > >>

Tuxman:
You can also open a file in a viewer without actually viewing.  8)

f0dder:
You can also open a file in a viewer without actually viewing.  8)-Tuxman (December 25, 2009, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was referring to things like SED, not closing my eyes ;)

Tuxman:
Ah, alright then.  :D

Paul Keith:
Editing a file means making changes to it - making annotations (even if it's in some external store) is a bit of a gray area, but the rest of your examples don't imply "edit" as far as I'm concerned; you might change the view but you're not changing the model.-f0dder (December 25, 2009, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

But that's why it's a pedantical argument. As a general answer, I can't just eliminate one option because that certain "gray area" fits someone's model and not someone else's. (I'd thus turn it into a list of readers and as Tuxman paradoxically answered his own question: When you turn an editor into a reader, on average people think "An editor is always a viewer, but not the other way." even if it's not always the case so you end up with a topic that sends the message that I'm looking for a list of editors that supports read-only mode i.e. SCITE)

Bookmarks for example don't change the model also but is an external storage of some kind that alters the overall model to it's user.

Another thing that changes the model are transition animations when viewing PDF Files in Adobe. You change it from the model of a reader into more of a slideshow viewer.

Still another related model is catalogs. You edit a document from a model of a reader into a discoverer ala a RSS Reader.

There's a whole list of models that makes it more of an editor centered on making the viewing more readable than it is about a viewer that doesn't change the model and just the view.

@ Paul Keith, have you looked at yBook ? Check it out.
-joiwind (December 25, 2009, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. I forgot about this.

Unfortunately, the two download links doesn't seem to be working for me right now so I might re-check it again later.

f0dder:
I was speaking model as in MVC - guess I should just have used the word "data" instead :). Something that changes your data would be an editor; something that doesn't, isn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version