ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for list of read-only editors

(1/4) > >>

Paul Keith:
After discovering Txt Reader, I was wondering what other read-only text editors there are.

Maybe it's a casual user thing but I prefer something of a dedicated desktop reader as an alternative to E-book readers but I haven't found any perfect fit.

Adobe Lite comes closest to being my ideal reader because of it's use of the page up/page down settings, clearer rendition, page transitions via fullscreen and remember last opened page of pdf file but I might as well make this topic.

So far the commons one I know are: (didn't bothering specifying format handled since that is just as annoying although I'd rather have an all-in-one format reader)

Opera
   *control background color and fonts
   *+ and - zoom
   *light enough to handle lots of tabs so you're not fearful of leaving it open when it is restoring from a previous session unlike Chrome or Firefox

Txt Reader
  *bookmark
  *control bg color and fonts
  *left/right button
  *right click options (added this because I realize how other programs like FBReader don't support this)

MS Word 2007 +
  *arrows
  *two pane

Adobe Lite
  *page up/page down
  *transitions
  *restore from last page when opened

Stanza Desktop - bad experience when I last tried it but it was still very early on. Don't really prefer the handheld e-book reader look and feel when on a desktop.
 *minimalist lay-out

ubookLite - confusing to a beginner lay-out
  *supports lots of e-book formats
  *right click options

FBreader
  *book catalog search + download

Tom's etext reader
  *book catalog for Gutenberg (received an error when I tried it)
  *two page book theme by default
  *bookmark
  *"separate ui" text editor
  *recent files

Ybook
  *search and history
  *4 settings for text color + RGB editor (I didn't really get this)
  *Border resizing
  *Font size and choice in menu bar (hideable)
  *1 and 2 shortcut keys to control twin view or single view
  *Amazon search box built-in

Tuxman:
What about less?

Paul Keith:
less?

Tuxman:
Read-only plain text reading.
(BTW, what is a "readonly editor"?)

invenit:
I've read good things about Tom's eTextReader at http://www.fellnersoft.at/eTR.htm for Windows; FBReader in linux http://www.fbreader.org/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version