ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (14/18) > >>

Dormouse:
Curt: just use windows' built-in "safely remove" feature,
-f0dder (December 29, 2009, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whilst that certainly works, it is so much less convenient and functional than the extra app in question

Darwin:
USB Safely Remove[/url] is one I always use and would miss. I haven't seen an alternative that I would use instead. Works simply, saves me time.
-Dormouse (December 29, 2009, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dang! Forgot about this one - sits in my system tray and is invaluable. I'll add it to my own list  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: have now read the follow-on posts. Just want to add the for me the great thing about USB Safely Remove is the ability to re-attach the device if you change your mind right after removing it. Sounds silly, but it is very useful. You can also have it remove (or re-attach, for that matter) all devices at once, which is handy as well.

Curt:
Curt: just use windows' built-in "safely remove" feature, no need for an extra app for that. But it is dangerous to just yank out your stick... I wouldn't even consider doing that anymore. Also, as an advantage to always doing things the proper way :), you can set the properties of the USB disk to "optimize for performance" which can mean tremendous speed boost for file operations on those devices.
-f0dder (December 29, 2009, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think this was a contradiction, f0dder. Window's 'Safely Remove' is based on cache and prohibits Optimize For Performance. It is one or the other: Optimize For either fast but safe removal, or for fast working speeds.

f0dder:
Curt: no, it's not a contradiction... the proper way is to always use safe remove, whether you have the device set for speed or quick removal. Once you get into the habit of doing things the proper way, then it's safe to optimize for performance. But even with optimize for quick removal, you risk data corruption if you just yank out the device. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

koro:
*Really* must have:

* PuTTy (Tray)
* WinSCP
* Firefox
* Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader
Would suffer without:

* Unison
* Thunderbird
* 7-zip
* Avira Antivir
* Process Explorer