ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (10/18) > >>

Tuxman:
I run Fences from Stardock.-tinjaw (December 28, 2009, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, great. Thanks for the hint (although I'm not Curt).  :Thmbsup:

Curt:
I think programs like Fences and Desktop Icon Toy are great if the user has no more than the (72) icons the (1024x768) desktop has natural room for. If the number of icons is like it is on my desktop, well, I have chosen not to see any icons at all, but to have a folder link in my Quick Launch bar. This way I can see ALL of the icons, no-one is on top of another one; and they all come in the proper order. I think a shortcut to the desktop's folder is much more handy than the desktop itself. And this way the desktop sure is a lot prettier to look at :-)

40hz:
I agree with Curt. Putting your collection of desktop icons in one folder and then accessing that via the Quick Launch bar is the way to go if you have a large number of shortcuts you want to keep handy.

You can also use the same technique with any other launcher-type gadget that supports folder links:

Here's what it looks like under the free MedalFolders launcher ( www.medalware.com/medalfolders.php ).

There are dozens more you could chose from as well. :Thmbsup:

Dormouse:
I've never understood all the references to the desktop, desktop icons and programs to manage them.
I practically never see my desktop; even on startup, autostarting progs cover it up.
Makes me feel that my usage must be very different to other people's.

cmpm:
It helps me to have folders for different types of programs.
Audio/Video/Burn-Image-Office-Maintain and then one called 'Stuff, which has mostly programs that already auto start.

The visible icons are Owner, on w7 it houses docs, pics, downloads and more. Computer, Recycle and Control Panel.

Extra icons in the quick launch are Note, Atlantis Nova, Firefox, IE and Flip3d.

Seems to work for me. Every program is on the desktop.
I guess I use folders like fences...sort of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version