ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (2/18) > >>

mrainey:
The ones I rely on:

Directory Opus
JV16 PowerTools
Firefox
Excel
pdfFactory
UltraEdit
FastStone Capture
BootIt NG
ClipCache
WYSIWYG WebBuilder
ERUNT
avast!
Replay Media Catcher
Foxit Reader
CCleaner

app103:
I am pretty much a Windows gal, but I installed Ubuntu to give it a try. It wasn't so bad as an OS, but I really missed a lot of the Windows software that I have grown to love and depend on.

These are the applications I wished were cross-platform so I could have them in Ubuntu. Except for Trout, I haven't tried any of them in WINE. (some I won't, since I know they are too Windows-centric to work)

If I am really missing them, then to me they must be the essential must-have stuff.

* Process Explorer
* Speedfan
* Snagit and/or Screenshot Captor
* Notezilla
* OSD Mute
* DClock 2 (maybe some day I'll try to make it and all its accessories cross-platform)
* Launchbar Commander
* Filebox Extender
* Trout
* Surfulater
* Notepad2 (gedit is ok, but I really don't like tabs on my notepad)
* Ad Muncher
* PS Tray Factory
* Lacuna Launcher
* ColorCop
* Beyond Compare
* Windows Live Writer
* AutoHotKey
* Paintshop Pro 7
And these are the ones I am glad are cross-platform:

* Dropbox
* Filezilla
* Firefox
* XChat

rodgarnett:
Hello Folks. I wish I knew just what you all have forgotten. As I read over the site it is painful to feel so stupid. You talk about 100 things that you must have an I don't have a clue what they are or what you would need them for. I am always trying downloads, when I see them in, Cnet or Znet and with out exception I mess up my computer. In my effort to try and make something that works well run better I end up with a program that dozen work at all.

Josh:
WinSCP
PuTTy
Sysinternals Suite
Thunderbird 3
Chrome (Once more extensions are prevelant)
Hamachi

app103:
Hello Folks. I wish I knew just what you all have forgotten. As I read over the site it is painful to feel so stupid. You talk about 100 things that you must have an I don't have a clue what they are or what you would need them for. I am always trying downloads, when I see them in, Cnet or Znet and with out exception I mess up my computer. In my effort to try and make something that works well run better I end up with a program that dozen work at all.
-rodgarnett (December 23, 2009, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, my list isn't the stuff YOU must have. It's the list of stuff I must have. Since I don't assume anyone knows what they all are by name alone, I included links so you can find out.

If you can't see why you would want any of them after reading what they are, don't install them. But if one sparks some interest, try it out.

Not everything in my list is meant to "make your pc run better". Some just provide me with information or make some tasks easier to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version