ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

(1/18) > >>

zridling:

It's been done to death, but let's make a list of must-have Windows programs for any category. For myself, the best ones are also cross-platform ones, but that's not required.

zridling:
I have three to start:

* Screenshot Captor
* 7-Zip Archiver
* FileZilla FTP

cranioscopical:
Directory Opus
FARR
OED  2  v1.02
Photoshop
Sysinternals suite

40hz:
AntiFreeze
ReturnilVS
Revo Uninstaller
CCleaner
Canaware NetNotes
CintaNotes
Notepad++
WriteMonkey
FARR
FileZilla

tranglos:
TotalCommander (or, I guess, Directory Opus) - the first thing I install on a new system

FARR, obviously! - comes second after TC, only then can I actually run software comfortably.

TrueLaunchBar (can't live without it. I hope it runs under Win7!)

Actual Window Manager (a must for me, but it does so much more than manage windows on multiple monitors)

A text editor is a draw between EmEditor, EditPad Pro or HippoEdit.

Startup Monitor - there are plenty more advanced tools to manage startup items, but this one takes a minuscule amount or memory and prompts you immediately when something gets added to a startup location. Another must early install on a new system, before I start installing much else. For heavy-duty maintenance, Anvir Task Manager.

Firefox. Chrome is just too emo!

Obviously a media player, but I don't have a favorite (they all suck in various ways). The minimum today would be Media Player Classic - Homecinema, I guess. Zoom Player is top of the line, but shamelessly expensive, and not very functional for audio. J-River Media Center is a fantastic organizer and great audio player, but has a sucky UI for playing video (stay with their freeware MediaJukebox, which only does audio). Winamp is great but s-lo-o-w, and AIMP is great but buggy, so...

Um, KeyNote :)

Calendarscope - my preferred calendar; wish it had better handling of to-do tasks

Autohotkey, it speeds up my real-life work like no contest.

TheBat! for email. Even with the editor annoynances, it's always been 100% reliable for me, it would take a lot of convincing for me to even try anything else.

Ditto (another work booster), USB Safely Remove and definitely KatMouse (lets you scroll a window without clicking/focusing it first. Another invisible app I can't live without.)

Backup4All, consistently the best, and I've tried a lot of alternatives. The day it starts supporting real-time backup it will be perfect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version