ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Must-have Windows Programs

<< < (6/18) > >>

cyberdiva:
Like app103, I've made a list of the software *I* must have.  I've got lots of other programs I use and like, but in most cases I'd be happy with a similar program.  That's not so true of the following, listed alphabetically:

Beyond Compare
ClipMate
Directory Opus
Everything
Firefox and/or Opera
HyperSnap
LastPass
LaunchBar Commander
Linkman
Magic DVD Ripper
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
Mulberry
UltraEdit
Web Research
WinPatrol Plus

I hesitated a bit over including Magic DVD Ripper and Web Research.  In both cases, however, I've tried several other programs and found none of them as satisfying.  As for LastPass, I'd agree that RoboForm is just as good, but RF doesn't work with Opera, whereas LastPass does.  Probably the program on the list that I've been most unable to replace is my email client, Mulberry.  It handles my IMAP accounts far better than any other client I've tried (including Thunderbird, The Bat!, Pegasus, PocoMail, Eudora 7 and 8, and Mail Forge, to name those that come quickly to mind).  Mulberry, ClipMate, and a browser are the first three programs I load on any computer (after I've installed an antivirus program and a firewall).

Edit: The above list is based primarily on my desktop computer running Win XP Pro (32 bit).  Thus far, I've also installed all but three of the above on my new netbook, running Windows 7 (32 bit).

Darwin:
Interesting list. It might be informative if we all indicate what version of Windows we're running and whether or not it's 64 bit or 32 bit.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and my must have software includes:

Directory Opus
ClipMate
Fineprint
Firefox
Roboform
USB Safely Remove
PDF Converter Professional - use this to view, create, and edit pdfs.
Office 2007 - primarily Outlook, Word, and Excel but have been dabbling with OneNote increasingly of late, though. I think it will probably make the daily-user list next year.

Honourable Mentions:

EditPad Pro
Endnote - used to use this to generate bibliographies in Word. Now use it to keep my pdf and ebook collection (in the thousands) organzied.

I have TONS of additional software installed, but the first list includes the third party applications that I use every day and the second applications that I use weekly - everything I use weakly  ;D.

Edit: added PDF Converter Professional. There *are* other options available but this is the solution I've used for years. Love it's OCR capabilities.
Edit 2: added USB Safely Remove

Tuxman:
Interesting list. It might be informative if we all indicate what version of Windows we're running and whether or not it's 64 bit or 32 bit.-Darwin (December 24, 2009, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Vista and XP, both 32 bit.

Darwin:
Thanks, Tuxman  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
Updated my previous post to include Windows versions and the remaining items from the old list :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version