ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone still using WordPerfect?

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
WriteMonkey is not a word processor.
-Tuxman (December 22, 2009, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok...I'm sitting down.

Why do you not consider it a word processor?

I come from an era before the advent of WYSIWYG wordprocessing*, so we apparently have different definitions of the term.

I'm guessing you'd prefer to call it something like a "text" processor?

:)

-----
* Not a typo BTW. "Word processor" was usually spelled as a single word back then. 8)

Tuxman:
WriteMonkey is a text editor. Made for editing texts, not for writing letters.  8)

40hz:
Funny. I write almost everything I do in the Windows environment using WriteMonkey.

I've composed magazine articles, several pieces of short fiction, a couple of AV scripts, a client product user manual, various professional reports - and reams of personal and business letters using it. I find it a very versatile app.

I didn't know it wasn't made for writing letters though.

So I guess that means I'll need to start using something else next time I write one? ;D

Tuxman:
I didn't know it wasn't made for writing letters though.-40hz (December 22, 2009, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
From the WriteMonkey website:
Zenware for full screen distraction free creative writing.

Made for writing contests AFAIK. Of course you can edit every kind of text in it...

Would you say Vim is a word processor then, too?

Wikipedia:
Word processing typically implies the presence of text manipulation functions that extend beyond a basic ability to enter and change text (...)

40hz:
Made for writing contests AFAIK.-Tuxman (December 22, 2009, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not really. More for writing drafts in a distraction free workspace. It's been discussed in previous DoCo threads. It's author (iztoks) is a Doco member.

Writemonkey bears an uncanny cultural resemblance to the DOS-based XYWrite wordprocessor. XYWrite, in turn, was based on the ATEX word processing program which ran on mainframes way back when. ATEX was the wordprocessor for its time. ATEX was used extensively by major news agencies and newspaper publishers such as the New York Times.

Would you say Vim is a word processor then, too?
-Tuxman (December 22, 2009, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would when it's being used to 'process' words.

Same goes for EMACS.

(We're starting to get seriously off topic here BTW! :tellme:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version