topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Saving web pages  (Read 5788 times)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Saving web pages
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Is it necessary to have a program to save web pages? Not even web sites, just pages????????
Not in Scrapbook, but as files on your drive?

I just tried to view the pages I saved from my mom's old web site, which is now gone.
As I expected, the images are gone, the formatting is gone, everything but the text and links are gone.
Having zero faith that saving these pages was going to work at all, I saved each one in htm, html, word, & mhtml.
I figured one of them had to work.

And it still didn't work! I can't even show the before/after images. There befores are gone.

What in the world is the problem? Why do they even allow to save a web page when it's not going to work, anyway?

File, save as has never worked for me, with web pages, which is why I saved them in every possible format.

The only one that looks right is the .jpg screenshot I took - which clearly I should have done with all of them.

Is there any way to restore them? Is there anything hidden in the code which would allow me to get the original formatting and pictures back?
Does save as work for anyone? Am I going to continue to have to take screenshots?

Please help, I know this post is written badly but I am sooooo frustrated and mad at myself for not taking screenshots of these pages. I knew better than to trust a computer to do anything more advanced than that.

-Sarah

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Saving web pages
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:25 AM »
Personally I use Local Website Archive from Aignesberger Software: http://aignes.com/lwa.htm

Local Website Archive
offers a fast and easy way to store information from the web on your hard disk. Archived web pages and documents are stored in their original file format and can also be opened with associated applications or found by desktop search engines.

Local Website Archive can be used as WebSite-Watcher add-on or as stand alone program without WebSite-Watcher.

Collect, find and reuse information!

There's both a free and a Pro version, and you'll find a comparison chart here: http://aignes.com/lw...pics/differences.htm

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:17 AM »
Do you mean when you go back to save a second version of a page that it overwrites the previous version?
mhtml should open in IE or Opera - have you tried opening the various files with different browsers?
If you save file as Web Page, complete (that's how it's described in FF at any rate), it should save the images in a folder with the same name as the file name - is it possible you moved the html file but left the associated folder somewhere?
I used to save web pages & had problems with mht but not with others

There's a few different software that do this - the only ones I know personally are Surfulater & InfoQube, both of which I would recommend
Surfulater saves all content in a large file
InfoQube gives you various choices - link to images or store them locally

There are a few others (there was a thread not too long ago about which the best but I cant remember the name of it..) but if you want to compare before & after / changes to a site >> TucknDar's recommendation
Tom

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:59 AM »
If there is javascript involved, it might not work when the saved file is opened via file://-protocol.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16 AM »
If you use IE, saving as MHT will grab the whole page and save everything (text, images, css, js). If you use FF, scrapbook will work very well. It DOES save files locally, on your hard drive.

You may also want to use one of the web archive to see if you can find the page again:
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Do you mean when you go back to save a second version of a page that it overwrites the previous version?
mhtml should open in IE or Opera - have you tried opening the various files with different browsers?
If you save file as Web Page, complete (that's how it's described in FF at any rate), it should save the images in a folder with the same name as the file name - is it possible you moved the html file but left the associated folder somewhere?
I used to save web pages & had problems with mht but not with others

Thank you for all of your replies.

I went into my Mom>Website folder on my drive, and every page I saved has lost its formatting & pictures.
After I saved 2 pages as jpgs, I tried mhtm & it worked. So I went with it.
htm files contain little red dots or the word, "Image" or "Logo" or where the pictures use to be.

In the saved mht files, the pictures are there but the formatting is gone.
In the saved htm files, the pictures and the formatting is gone.

Firefox: I like Scrapbook, but last month FF bookmarks, when I tested them, would not import back into FF 5 minutes after I exported them.
I had someone much more skilled than I try to make this work and they couldn't do it, either.
I had also saved these pages in Scrapbook but at that point, I was so distracted that I forgot to try to save Scrapbook data prior to reformatting.
Also left behind were the files that FF buries somewhere in users/roaming.

Other software: I'm OK with having to acquire software that would have made this easier. I gladly paid $175 for Net Snippets, because I could fully understand it, but they went out of business when Vista was released. I looked for another program to replace it, but couldn't find anything that simple.

I thought my computer would save the pages, as there exists the command, "Save."
 :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

So, that may be a lost cause. But, there is still the blog containing photos of her work.
When I open that folder, here's what I see:

Clipboard02.bmpSaving web pages

So I guess I need a software if I want to save the contents of the blog.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-Sarah

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 12:53 PM »
If you use IE, saving as MHT will grab the whole page and save everything (text, images, css, js). If you use FF, scrapbook will work very well. It DOES save files locally, on your hard drive.

You may also want to use one of the web archive to see if you can find the page again:
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Thank you for this! This archive has saved most of her work, but...won't enlarge thumbnails of her photos.
Nonetheless, I really appreciate it. It's better than what I have on my computer!

Saving the photos from the blog might be more interesting anyway, that way I can see close-ups of her work.
Is there any reliable way to save a blog in its intended format? Or at least the pictures? Is saving a blog the same as saving a website?
-Sarah