ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

“Is PayPal good for your microISV business?” A short PayPal horror story

<< < (4/5) > >>

f0dder:
Newzbin catalogs binary content posted on Usenet. Some of the content could be considered illegal, but a lot is indeed legal. I'd rather download *anything* off Usenet when the only official way to get some programs is through torrents (some Linux distros and other stuff).-Innuendo (January 01, 2010, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, I feel quite the opposite way - torrents are efficient (multi-sourced, built-in integrity check, error handling) and transfers in binary. Things might have improved since I used binary usenet ages ago :), but back then binary resources required text encoding (even yenc has some overhead - back then it was uuencode which was nasty). Also, how are you sure you're getting from a verified source? Afaik it's not hard spoofing usenet posts? Harder to hack a server and post a modified .torrent file.

Innuendo:
Sure, it's easy to spoof Usenet posts, but with md5 signatures to verify the files & par2 files to keep the spoofers at bay most of the worry about Usenet becomes moot.

I cannot argue with yenc generates overhead & torrents give multi-sources, but when I can connect to my Usenet server and fill my connection speed, but connecting to a popular torrent swarm only gives me 20-30% of my full connection speed even those torrent benefits become irrelevant.

A further point that I don't have to worry about, but a lot of people do, is that a lot of ISPs throttle torrent speeds heavily. Not nearly as many ISPs throttle Usenet.

This is all off the topic, of course......we now return you to your regularly scheduled program of Paypal/eBay screwing over and stealing from freeware authors.

Lashiec:
I'd love to see the reason Paypal gave for seizing the money in the account of a freeware music player.
-Innuendo (January 01, 2010, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

The explanation is provided in the forum.

Carol Haynes:
Last I heard, Paypal is not considered a "bank" and is not regulated like one.
-JavaJones (December 23, 2009, 11:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

It seems to depend on the region where they are based.

PayPal in the UK briefly set up offices in the UK and the government imposed full Financial Services restrictions on them (ie. all the restrictions that banks and insuracne companies are subject to). Unsurprisingly shortly after that PayPal decamped to Luxembourg for its European operations.

Luxembourg is in the EU but as I understand it has far fewer restrictions on financial service providers.

What we really need is a campaign for financial regulation enshrined in law for companies that hold money for customers.

Someone above suggested using Google Checkout - but in what way is that any better than PayPal - presumably they are also subject to their own policies without outside regulation.

I will continue to use PayPal for small sums of money and I always withdraw all funds as soon as they are deposited and don't keep a balance in my PayPal account. If I have problems I will simply stop using PayPal as a potential way to receive payment. Actually I am considering using my Banks payment service which allows me to process credit cards directly - it is slightly more expensive but at least it is regulated in the UK and there are independent regulators who will allow appeals if you encounter problems.

Some interesting info on WikiPedia:

Bank status

In the United States, PayPal is licensed as a money transmitter on a state-by-state basis.[31] PayPal is not classified as a bank in the United States, though the company is subject to some of the rules and regulations governing the financial industry including Regulation E consumer protections and the USA PATRIOT Act.[32] On May 15, 2007, PayPal announced that it would move its European operations from the UK to Luxembourg, commencing July 2, 2007 as PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.[33] This would be as a Luxembourg entity regulated as a bank by the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF), the Luxembourg equivalent of the FSA.[34] PayPal Luxembourg will then provide the PayPal service throughout the European Union (EU).
--- End quote ---

and

Regulation

In Europe, PayPal is registered as a bank in Luxembourg under the legal name PayPal (Europe) Sarl et Cie SCA, a company regulated centrally by the Luxembourg bank authority, the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF)[42] (note that all of the company's European accounts were transferred to the PayPal's bank in Luxembourg on July 2, 2007.[43]) Prior to this move, PayPal had been registered in the UK as Paypal (Europe) Ltd, an entity which was licensed as an Electronic Money Issuer with the UK's Financial Services Authority (FSA) from 2004. This ceased in 2007, when the company moved to Luxembourg,[44][45] however the Luxembourg entity is still regulated by the FSA, as it is an entity from the European Economic Area which conducts regulated activities in the UK.[46]
--- End quote ---

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal

shobazi:
I have found many horror stories about pay pal - among that one is aboutpaypal.org/another_paypal_horror_story_over_a_pair_of_sunglasses

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version