ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Parallel proxy transfer software

<< < (2/4) > >>

f0dder:
If it's a custom protocol, how on earth would a generic proxy server be able to automagically split the workload for you? :) - you can't just say "take this data stream and split it into three new ones", that kind of thing requires support both in the client and server side programs.

If your UDP data rate is poor, it's either because one (or both) end(s) are rate-limited somehow, or because the protocol is designed poorly (waiting for ACKs). With TCP you can gain a little by multiple connections even if there's no rate-limiting going on, but UDP always goes full throttle and shouldn't benefit from parallelizing - au contraire.

electronixtar:
If it's a custom protocol, how on earth would a generic proxy server be able to automagically split the workload for you? :) - you can't just say "take this data stream and split it into three new ones", that kind of thing requires support both in the client and server side programs.

If your UDP data rate is poor, it's either because one (or both) end(s) are rate-limited somehow, or because the protocol is designed poorly (waiting for ACKs). With TCP you can gain a little by multiple connections even if there's no rate-limiting going on, but UDP always goes full throttle and shouldn't benefit from parallelizing - au contraire.
-f0dder (December 21, 2009, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can download BitTorrent fast enough. It's just one personal remote server (reverse proxy) which is transferring data really slow. What should I do? I can't wait all the http resources to be full downloaded then use multithreaded download tools to download them because they are requested on demand. So what's your guy's suggestion?

f0dder:
Why should you worry about my udp transporting speed? I can download BitTorrent fast enough.-electronixtar (December 21, 2009, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't really worry about your UDP speed, all I'm saying is that (unless rate-limited some way), UDP goes full throttle and pumps out packets as fast as your link can handle - unlike TCP which does congestion control, and has slow-start.

BitTorrent uses TCP and not UDP, but has massively parallel connections - but you probably already know that.

It's just one personal remote server (reverse proxy) which is transferring data really slow. What should I do? I can't wait all the http resources to be full downloaded then use multithreaded download tools to download them because they are requested on demand. So what's your guy's suggestion?-electronixtar (December 21, 2009, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
You really need to explain in more detail what it is you want to do, and which software is involved. As I've already mentioned, you can't just automagically make a proxy parallelize things without client+server support...

electronixtar:
Why should you worry about my udp transporting speed? I can download BitTorrent fast enough.-electronixtar (December 21, 2009, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't really worry about your UDP speed, all I'm saying is that (unless rate-limited some way), UDP goes full throttle and pumps out packets as fast as your link can handle - unlike TCP which does congestion control, and has slow-start.

BitTorrent uses TCP and not UDP, but has massively parallel connections - but you probably already know that.

It's just one personal remote server (reverse proxy) which is transferring data really slow. What should I do? I can't wait all the http resources to be full downloaded then use multithreaded download tools to download them because they are requested on demand. So what's your guy's suggestion?-electronixtar (December 21, 2009, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
You really need to explain in more detail what it is you want to do, and which software is involved. As I've already mentioned, you can't just automagically make a proxy parallelize things without client+server support...
-f0dder (December 21, 2009, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, I am a bit confused, what else should I explain?

And again,

I have a remote server as a reverse proxy/http proxy, it's kinda slow, I hope there's some kind of software to speed it up a little by doing parallel data transfer.

Is this too hard?

electronixtar:
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
-f0dder (December 21, 2009, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh btw, BitTorrent is way faster in UDP, perhaps you are choosing the wrong client  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version