ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm beginning my experiment with Linux and other OS's.

<< < (5/9) > >>

40hz:
I feel like you are me, only you've done everything a couple years before I have!
-superboyac (December 21, 2009, 12:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's only because I'm more than a few years older than you so I've had more time. ;D

Tell me, what does the future hold for me?
--- End quote ---

Many many many good things. (Count on it.) 8)

The thing is, I'm sure all of these things can be fixed easily if you are familiar with the system.  But I don't have the time at this point.
-superboyac (December 21, 2009, 01:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW Suse is more of a second distro than a first if you're new to Linux. (At least as far as I'm concerned.)

If you really just want to get our feet wet with minimal hassles, give Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php) a try. It's what I usually suggest to beginners who ask me where to start. Mint is a very elegant rework of Ubuntu. Well worth the download.

cyberdiva:
cyberdiva, I didn't mean to sound berating or anything.  I was more talking to myself, sorry.  It's part of the process I'm going through to open my mind up to non-Windows OS's.
--- End quote ---
Hey, superboyac, rest assured that I didn't think you were berating.  I recognized that you were referring to your own thoughts and attitudes.  I just wanted to make it clear that, though I agreed with much of what you said about your experience with Windows, what you said about software didn't really apply to me.

I'm finding this thread very interesting.  Mostly, though, it's reinforcing my feeling that although I have many misgivings about Windows, that OS is probably the best one for me, given my needs and limitations.

Innuendo:
cyberdiva, yes I love the programs I use on Windows also.  But there are a couple of things to consider there.  First, why have we adopted the software we use?  Well, because we're using Windows, we have to use Windows-compatible software, and we don't even look at the programs available to other OS's.  There must be awesome programs we've never even thought about because we wouldn't be able to use it on our Windows...<stuff snipped>...After all, it's only software, there's no need to be emotionally tied to it.
-superboyac (December 20, 2009, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

My days of being emotionally attached to a OS & software ended the day I sold my Amiga. I have looked and found the best software available that fits my needs & as crazy as that may sound, that software is programmed to run on the Windows OS.

Total Commander, foobar2000, mp3tag, AnyDVD, and others are the best for my uses and they do things that are not capable in any other program on any other OS. I must not be alone in my thinking as the user support forums for all these programs get swarmed regularly by people begging for these programs to be ported to OS X or Linux.

The only program I really feel like I am missing out on due to my OS of choice is QuickSilver for OS X & I am not going to give up what I have just so I can run that.

Innuendo:
If you don't mind going back to DOpus' Amiga origins you could try Worker.l])[/i]
-4wd (December 20, 2009, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

That screenshot brought back fond memories of my time on the Amiga...and fond memories of a time when Directory Opus was sanely priced. ;)

sajman99:
I haven't kept up with the development of PCLinuxOS but last I checked it delivered a hassle free out-of-the-box experience suitable for a Linux newb like me. I honestly wasn't expecting much when I tried it a few years ago, but PCLinuxOS just blew me away with its professional appearance and hardware compatibility. Also, updating software was very easy (IIRC) with PCLinuxOS. Anybody use this distro?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version