ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm beginning my experiment with Linux and other OS's.

<< < (2/9) > >>

superboyac:
cyberdiva, yes I love the programs I use on Windows also.  But there are a couple of things to consider there.  First, why have we adopted the software we use?  Well, because we're using Windows, we have to use Windows-compatible software, and we don't even look at the programs available to other OS's.  There must be awesome programs we've never even thought about because we wouldn't be able to use it on our Windows.  So, this is an opportunity to check those programs out.  And according to Zaine, there are plenty and they are pretty good.  And even though I don't use Macs, I've seen some pretty cool Mac programs.

The other thing to think about is since the large majority of computer users are Windows users, obviously we're going to find more programs for Windows.  More free, more shareware, more bad programs, more good programs, more of everything.  This is my primary area of concern for switching.  I love being able to find EXACTLY what I want because there are so many options.  However, in defense of the others, just because there aren't as many options doesn't mean that what's available isn't what you're looking for.  All it takes is one program to satisfy you.  Frankly, as we all know, there's a ton of crappy Windows software out there.

Anyway, it's all a matter of being able to experiment and opening our minds up.  Let go of emotions, and be rational about the whole thing.  After all, it's only software, there's no need to be emotionally tied to it.

40hz:
Let go of emotions, and be rational about the whole thing.  After all, it's only software, there's no need to be emotionally tied to it.
-superboyac (December 20, 2009, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad to hear somebody (other than me ;D) saying that.

It *is* only software.
Thx SB! :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
haha, yeah 40.  Just to be a hypocrite, I will reserve the right to say I LOVE certain software, because that's something positive.  I just love it when things are done the right way.

Anyway, I've been having a nightmare of a problem installing flash on my opensuse.  I went to youtube, it said I needed flash, so i went to download it.  Then I installed it using something called YUM, but that didn't work, I got an error.  Then I downloaded a tar.gz file, used the Ark software to open it.  That keeps crashing and crashing over and over.  So, that's not good.  Something as simple as flash should install relatively easily.  Just a heads up.  This thread may turn into my linux journal.

superboyac:
ok, i can't figure out how to install flash and I'm super frustrated.  What a pain.  i give up.

Stoic Joker:
ok, i can't figure out how to install flash and I'm super frustrated.  What a pain.  i give up.
-superboyac (December 20, 2009, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do tell us you're only giving up on flash and not the entire Linux project!?!

Stay the course man! Flash is crap anyway...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version