ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Strengths and Weaknesses of Mind Mapping Software Applications (MindMap)

<< < (2/2)

mwang:
Jim, what I said certainly didn't mean to be a rebuttal. Sorry if it came across that way.

I totally agree, when it comes to note taking, nothing beats hand writing in convenience. And yet it's a huge problem for someone as inept at sorting paper stuff (in ways that can be retrieved later) as I. I don't have a scanner, and I doubt how often I'll use it should I have one.

I started using Freemind for note-taking only a few months ago, and have found it to be surprisingly useful. I used to rely on Emeditor or Word for the job. Emeditor (or any text editor) is too limited due to the lack of basic highlight tools, and can't make simple drawings. While Word is more capable, it's slow, and drawing simple diagrams is Word is never easy for me. Since the kind of drawings I make at work are usually concept maps, Freemind is excellent. XMind is even better (for allowing floating nodes, among other things), but it's slow.

J-Mac:
I have a couple versions of Mindjet's MindManager but none work on Windows 7, and it is too expensive for me to upgrade. I used it but not enough to justify their increased pricing. They aim primarily at the so-called "enterprise" market, and that sure ain't me!

I am thinking of subscribing to MindMeister, and online mind-mapping app, mainly because it can import my MindManager maps - and I have a lot of those I would like to be able to use again.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version