ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Great Aussie Firewall to Go Ahead

<< < (4/5) > >>

Eóin:
My understanding on that rule was that helmets for motorcyclists meant more and more people paralyzed. So relaxing that rule allowed people to chose between death and life rather than risking what many consider (for right or wrong) something in between.

Ehtyar:
I was under the impression that the scope of the Great Aussie Firewall included simply blocking specific domains/IPs. Am I mistaken? :O-Ehtyar (December 17, 2009, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doesn't matter what it includes, Ehtyar. The standard operating procedure of politicians is to get something implemented ASAP that will offend the least amount of citizens. Then, once it is in place, they're free to make as many additions as they want later.
-Innuendo (December 17, 2009, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Of course it matters what it includes. Until they get around to including SPI in the firewall laws (a lot more work/cost for ISPs, and much more invasive for consumers - very doubtful it would get passed) I can DHT as much as I like.

Ehtyar.

Innuendo:
you haven't had a forced-seatbelt-use law until a couple of years ago? O_o-f0dder (December 17, 2009, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope...one of the quirks of living in Midwest America.

Still, while I do find that seatbelt use should be mandatory, whether you're just doing a 1km trip to shop groceries (in which case you really shouldn't be taking the car anyway, but I digress), I'm not a big fan of the way politicians always sneak stuff in through the back door; it's despicable :mad:
--- End quote ---

Yes, I agree seatbelt use should be mandatory, but I really didn't care for the promises of how there'd be no pull-overs for only that violation and then they went back on their word.

Here either, unless Innudeo lives in Florida also (I do). We just got the pull-over-for-seatbelts thing here.-Stoic Joker (December 17, 2009, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm "up" in Indiana. Glad to see my state isn't the only one being dragged kicking & screaming out of the stone ages when it comes to safety. Unfortunately, politicians are still the same wherever one goes.

Of course it matters what it includes. Until they get around to including SPI in the firewall laws (a lot more work/cost for ISPs, and much more invasive for consumers - very doubtful it would get passed) I can DHT as much as I like.
--- End quote ---

You're not getting the point I'm making. Their only real hurdle is getting the law passed to bring the firewall into being in the first place. After that, any modifications & restrictions they want to make will just be slipped into other bills & laws as 'pork'. It's how politics work. Pass a version of the law that has the most you can get away with without public mutiny. Later, adjust & modify to what you wanted in the first place by piggy-backing on other legislation.

BitTorrent (I assume that is why you mention DHT) is a rather unsafe way to traffick in data, especially if it is anything less than 100% legal. It's something akin to pulling your car up in front of a busy shopping mall & then proceeding to load stolen goods into your trunk. There are better, more subtle ways, to do what BitTorrent does, but would keep you under the radar & probably would never trigger The Man's Firewall Of Death.

f0dder:
Yes, I agree seatbelt use should be mandatory, but I really didn't care for the promises of how there'd be no pull-overs for only that violation and then they went back on their word.-Innuendo (December 18, 2009, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly.

BitTorrent (I assume that is why you mention DHT) is a rather unsafe way to traffick in data, especially if it is anything less than 100% legal. It's something akin to pulling your car up in front of a busy shopping mall & then proceeding to load stolen goods into your trunk. There are better, more subtle ways, to do what BitTorrent does, but would keep you under the radar & probably would never trigger The Man's Firewall Of Death.
-Innuendo (December 18, 2009, 10:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
With forced Protocol Encryption, they can't see what's being transferred - add DHT and it becomes really hard to prove anything but "there's a lot of data flowing through a truckload of connections". Once that is enough to get somebody convicted, I'm all for grabbing firearms and overthrowing the guv'ments.

Ehtyar:
I'd also like to point out that where in a communist nation, it is a simple matter to procure the kinds of funds required to DPI every single packet leaving their borders (particularly when done from the very beginning), you very well run the risk of bankrupting all but the biggest ISPs by forcing them to filter their own traffic in any but the most mundane of ways. Heavy-handed law passing such as would be required to institute this sort of scheme in Australia does them no good if it results in the collapse of the nation's Internet infrastructure.

With forced Protocol Encryption, they can't see what's being transferred - add DHT and it becomes really hard to prove anything but "there's a lot of data flowing through a truckload of connections". Once that is enough to get somebody convicted, I'm all for grabbing firearms and overthrowing the guv'ments.
-f0dder (December 18, 2009, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
HAH, nice :)

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version