ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google creates a URL shortener, but it's limited

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lashiec:
Why can't Twitter and any other service using URL shorteners switch to something more sensible like, you know, those fancy brand new hyperlinks? Just saying ;D

Deozaan:
For SMS-length messager services like twitter, it's almost an absolute must, though.-zridling (December 17, 2009, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what Long URL Please is for.
Replaces short urls with the originals so you can see where links actually link to.
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Why can't Twitter and any other service using URL shorteners switch to something more sensible like, you know, those fancy brand new hyperlinks? Just saying ;D-Lashiec (December 17, 2009, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Because, in fairness, that makes the actual message longer than those ~160 characters. Dunno whether any device using Twitter is actually limited to a single SMS-length message, though :)

Lashiec:
Because, in fairness, that makes the actual message longer than those ~160 characters. Dunno whether any device using Twitter is actually limited to a single SMS-length message, though :)
-f0dder (December 18, 2009, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, that's what not I meant :)

I don't use Twitter, so maybe you can already do it, but AFAIK the only way to include links in your tweet is doing something like this:

* Check out Cody's brand new hat!!!: https://www.donationcoder.com/
But why didn't they do things like they're usually done in the rest of the Interwebs from the start?

* Check out Cody's brand new hat!!!
Yes, you may end up sending text longer than 160 characters, but the actual tweet is shorter.

f0dder:
Yes, you may end up sending text longer than 160 characters, but the actual tweet is shorter.-Lashiec (December 18, 2009, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
The length of the text the receivers read will only end up being those ~160 characters, yes, but I thought the point of twitter was that the entire message should only be ~sms-length?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version