ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Release: Create Dummy File

<< < (3/4) > >>

limelect:
updated to ver 2
I put a red message that will enable to procedure
By default it is disabled so no push acidently
and further more when press to activate a warning message
Also big message in Help file

As for the feature
I was asked by a professional friend "are you sure that a virus will
not penetrate even if the USB disk is full ?"
Well i could not say "YES i am sure" since the virus people are so
clever now a days.
So the only way that is seems to be OK,may be, is to disable writing the USB disk on the PC and the registery is the way to go.

mouser:
Forgive me for harping on this but i don't think the current user interface for this function is sufficient.

It's just not at all understandable from using the program what is going on -- either what the function does, or how to undo it.  the new checkbox just confuses things more.

It is my opinion that any time you have a function that can make such serious changes to the person's registry, you have a very heavy responsibility to warn them and be careful.

If you release the program as is, you are going to have people posting about how all of a sudden their computers can no longer write their usb drives.  and they may only discover this AFTER they have uninstalled and deleted your program!!

I suggest you remove this function completely from your program - maybe make a separate program for changing this registry setting so at least users know what they are getting into.

If you insist on having this function in your program, you need to change the user interface.
Maybe show a message on the screen telling user the CURRENT state of their registry, for example:
"Your registry is currently set to allow ALLOW USB drive writing (normal)" vs "Your registry is currently set to BLOCK usb drive writing completely";

And a BUTTON to change the setting, which says on it "DISABLE ALL USB DRIVE WRITING FOR ALL PROGRAMS" or "RE-ENABLE USB DRIVE WRITING FOR ALL PROGRAMS"

And when the press the button a big bold warning has to come up saying
"WARNING!!!!
If you choose to block usb drive writing, your system registry will be changed and will block all usb drive writing by any program.  This setting will stay in place even after a reboot, and even if you uninstall this program.  To re-enable usb drive writing you need to run this program again and re-enable it."

I'm sorry to be so serious about this but i think you are really asking for trouble and going to have people complaining to you if you leave this function as is.

limelect:
I will make the changes as advised no problem.
Although i do not agree, i see this function important to stop viruses writing to USB drive, i will make the changes as advised.

mouser:
Sometimes there are features i want to add to my programs.. but i know that so many people will use it without thinking too much about it, that it will cause too many problems, and it's just not a good idea.

Whenever you add a feature like that, you need to reallly make a scary clear warning, that will stop people from just clicking on something and forgetting.

f0dder:
Sorry, but isn't it a bit pointless trying to stop viruses this way?

First, it wouldn't be hard for a virus to change the registry setting - if a virus is designed to spread through USB infection, it might very well do this.

Second, on your home computer you'll obviously have disabled autorun for USB drives and you might even be running antivirus software - you should't be infected in the first place, and even if your USB drive gets nasties while elsewhere, it won't bite you when at home.

Third, "when elsewhere" you probably won't be on an account with administrative privileges, and thus can't flip the registry switch... and probably shouldn't...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version