ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

pyrohacker

<< < (2/5) > >>

wr975:
Not meant to discourage but maybe you can get some inspiration from Belvedere
Maybe adding options to dynamically create folders based on date, or put up some pre-defined rules like, auto-sort by extension and create folders based on the extensions and/or type. Example predefined rules would be:
*.pdf --> Goes to PDF folder
*.xls; *.doc; *.ppt --> goes to MSOffice folder
*.jpg;*.gif;*.png --> goes to Images folder

...and yes, it's great that it will be a portable app.
-supermamon (December 28, 2009, 08:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can also try this tool...

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=17828.msg159246#msg159246

Would be great if pyrohacker adds the same features in his tool. Especially the "keep .ini and .exe together" feature request was a great idea.

doctorfrog:
I was pretty tickled with how this program ripped through my cloudy downloads folder, until I realized that the way it names folders results in an out-of-chronological-order mess...

It's still a nice idea for Chronic Downloader's Remorse.

Suggestions:

1. Please use a folder naming convention that 'naturally' sorts by date, ie. 2009-03-15
2. Include an 'undo' feature.
3. Include a feature that optionally recursively sorts subfolders. In other words, it reaches into every folder, digs out everything and dumps it into the root folder, deletes all empty folders, then re-sorts based on file date. Definitely will want to include an "Are you really, really, really sure?" confirmation dialog for this.

pyrohacker:
Wow, these are some great suggestions and examples!  If they all come to pass, SubDiv will be more complex and useful than I originally had in mind ... I can't wait!

My Christmas Break is over, so development is going to have to slow down, but I don't intend to stop with version 1.0!  Just wondering, what are some opinions of the icon?  It was somewhat thrown together, so it's not the best I can do.

(The .ahk code is now hosted on a RedMine project, if anyone wants to take a look at it.)

dilligaff:
out-of-chronological-order mess... Just Windows default behavior - does date sorting on a character-by-character basis,and the default North American convention of mm-dd-yy means that the year gets parsed last. Suppressed/implicit leading zeroes also cause some weird behavior in the sorts, in my experience,too.
see <http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=292241> for a discussion of this problem, and M$ other sorting inconsistencies at <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318872>. The photo cataloging software I currently use has the option to use the date embedded in the EXIF data,or add info to the ITPC metadata.

doctorfrog:
M$-dilligaff (January 06, 2010, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Using the format "2010_01_06" works fine for me. Actually, it's also the folder sorting technique my image organizing software employs.

The underscores seem to break up the name enough so that Windows sorts properly, and doesn't need any special date-smart x-ray vision. Those of us in the USA can deal with the communist-inspired y/m/d order. I submit it as the easiest way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version