ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Questions re Windows 7 Starter on a Netbook

<< < (3/5) > >>

SKA:
Which AV(antivirus) works best on such netbooks ?

Or its vital to upgrade SE(starter edition) to HP(Home Premium)  or Professional ?

SKA

cyberdiva:
SKA, I've been using the free version of Avast, first on an old laptop (now retired) and now on my new Toshiba netbook.  It seems to be doing a good job.  It updates its database frequently, doesn't hog my computer's resources, doesn't waste my time with frequent false positives, and doesn't pester me to buy the paid version.   I also have a firewall (Agnitum Outpost Pro), and I run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro as well.  They all seem to play nicely together.  I've also heard good things about the free version of Avira, but apparently it keeps nagging about buying the paid version, or so I've read.

As for which flavor of Windows 7 to run, I'm still running Starter and am hoping that it will prove adequate for my limited needs (the netbook is NOT intended to be my primary computer).  As it turns out, I'm able to get either Professional or Ultimate/Enterprise from the University at a moderately decent price, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to simply use Windows 7's upgrade anytime feature but rather would have to do a fresh install that would wipe out all the programs I've been carefully installing and tweaking.  That's strong motivation to stick with Starter  ;).

Carol Haynes:
I like AVAST very much and recommend it to all my home user clients.

If you prefer to pay for AV why not subscribe to NOD32 - very light on resources.

SKA:
Dear Carol/ Cyberdiva

Why I ask is I get the feeilng Win7 Starter is a "light" edition -add a conventional AV and its bound to get slow - or no ?

Netbooks are v. new for me ( its my Christmas gift to get suitable AVs for my bro & niece, hence my query - grin).

SKA

Carol Haynes:
Unless they have deliberately degraded preformanbce I can't see why running AVAST or NOD32 would have a significantly greater impact on Starter than Home Premium?

The things that will make a difference (for any software) are the amount of memory available and the hardware speeds. My personal opinion is that most versios of Windows benefit from 2Gb of RAM (XP, Vista, 7) but XP can cope best with less memory. 7 is certainly better with less memory than Vista (which constantly disk threashes on a 1Gb system).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version