ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Questions re Windows 7 Starter on a Netbook

<< < (2/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Didn't they have second thoughts n the number of taskbar tasks that can be run during the final beta stage? I read something about it somewhere but can't remember where.

Josh:
Not sure, everything I have read about starter states that this is limited.

steeladept:
Didn't they have second thoughts n the number of taskbar tasks that can be run during the final beta stage? I read something about it somewhere but can't remember where.
-Carol Haynes (December 16, 2009, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, they dropped that restriction before it went to production.  It was ostensibly because the processor couldn't handle it, but after so many beta testers proved that wrong (and showed it to be a marketing gimmick to get people to buy the more powerful machines that have more profit margin for all involved), they decided to remove the artificial restriction.

cyberdiva:
Yes, steeladept is right--in a rare moment of sanity, Microsoft abandoned the three-program limit.  I now own a Toshiba NB-205 netbook with Windows 7 Starter, and I've found no such limit. 

Right now, I'm thinking that I'd have preferred WinXP on the netbook, but I suspect that as I become more accustomed to Windows 7 and learn how to work around the things I don't like, I'll probably be very glad I made the decision I did.  I won't say much more now, since I'm still feeling my way around.  One thing that has pleased me is that, so far, all the programs I've wanted to use seem to work fine (knock on wood  :)  ).

JavaJones:
Thank god for that! Cyberdiva, I'm curious to hear your continued thoughts on Win7 Starter vs. XP as you gain more experience. I already have a netbook with XP so it's not an immediate consideration for me, but I do often recommend purchases for others, and many people are interested in netbooks these days.

Josh, the default rendering method has been the same since XP I think. It probably should have changed with Vista, but I imagine it would be more likely with Win7 now being a lot more likable and, eventually, popular. In any case I will say the rendering method options are great to have, but I too find their adjustment to be a bit of a "black box", not knowing entirely what is best to choose...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version