ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Release: ClipTrap

<< < (22/27) > >>

skwire:
BGM, I have your feature request almost entirely implemented but there is one caveat that I need to mention.  I have it written so you can configure the max size of the clip.txt file as well as how many clip.txt files to keep.  So, let's say you have it set for a max size of one meg and are keeping five archive files.  The flow:

1) Your clip.txt file goes over one meg.
2) clip5.txt is deleted, clip4.txt is renamed to clip5.txt, clip3.txt is renamed to clip4.txt, clip2.txt is renamed to clip3.txt, clip1.txt is renamed to clip2.txt, and clip.txt is renamed to clip1.txt.  No problems to this point.
3) The problem is that ClipTrap's window still contains the contents of the recently archived clip.txt (which is now clip1.txt) and will write those contents fully to clip.txt on the next clipboard change (which will trigger the archive routine again).  Lather, rinse, repeat...

The obvious solution is to simply clear ClipTrap's window if the archive routine gets called.  That's easy enough.  However, I think this might be a bit disconcerting to the user.  That is, the user probably isn't going to be aware that the clips just got archived and is expecting to see a window full of text.  Do you follow what I'm saying.  I'm not sure there is another way to handle this, but I'm open to suggestions.  Maybe a simple warning when enabling the archive feature or something...I don't know.   :huh:

BGM:
Skwire, I follow you.  What about adding a note at the top of the newest, clean clip.txt file that says, "...continued from clip1.txt..."  ?

Also, what about, instead of renaming the clip.txt files to clip1.txt, clip2.txt, etc., 
instead, just use an incrementing appendage.
So, a user might have clip.txt (active), clip35.txt, clip36.txt, etc. - but only 5 (or x amount they chose to keep). 
Then, when clip.txt is full, instead of renaming any files, you just copy clip.txt to clip37.txt and then clear clip.txt, and adding the note at the top.

This may be less confusing for the user, because the file sequence is obvious.  They will always look to the highest number for the last clip file's contents.

Or, and I don't know if you can do this easily,
You could add the note about the last clip file, and have ClipText's viewer make it into an internal hyperlink.  Then the user sees the file is new, but can quickly access the last file, whatever it's name is.

skwire:
I took the easy way out and created a help button that warns the user of the possible ramifications of using the archival feature.  I also left the renaming scheme as I originally wrote it (seems more natural to me).

You can try the interim build here:  http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/cliptrap/ClipTrap_v1.1.5.2.zip

Please let me know how it goes for you.

BGM:
Thank you for your time, Skwire.  I will be away for a few weeks; when I return, I'll try it out.  God bless you.

skwire:
Thank you for your time, Skwire.  I will be away for a few weeks; when I return, I'll try it out.-BGM (May 12, 2013, 08:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

In that case, I'll just release it and, if you run into issues, we can work them out later.  Have a safe trip.  =]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version