topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I'm Going to HELL! Please feel sorry for me... :(  (Read 16557 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I'm Going to HELL! Please feel sorry for me... :(
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I most certainly won't be looking forward to funnel webs though... Yikes! Spiders just creep me out entirely!

You're lucky then, funnel webs are predominant in Sydney.

We just have snakes, redbacks, european wasps, more european wasps (come and take the bl**dy things back you b*ggers!), etc down here in Melbourne, (as well as some excellent four-wheel driving).

As for beaches, the Mornington peninsula both bay and ocean side.  Or travel a little further east to Ninety Mile beach/Gippsland Lakes or west down the great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay, etc, etc.

Regarding internet, basically you're screwed - welcome to the real world.

Although when you get here and have a place go to Whirlpool and use their plan finder to find an ISP but whatever you do, DO NOT choose BigPongd.

EDIT: Oh yeah, regarding the spiders please don't hurt the Huntsmanw spider if you find him in your house, just pick him up on a broom or something and stick him outside.  They're not poisonous and do a good job wandering around eating insects although they do get rather large so you might be surprised by one staring down at you while sitting on the toilet.

You'll also get the shock of your life when you flip down the sun visor in the car and have one drop in your lap  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:10 PM by 4wd »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I most certainly won't be looking forward to funnel webs though... Yikes! Spiders just creep me out entirely!

You're lucky then, funnel webs are predominant in Sydney.

We just have snakes, redbacks, european wasps, more european wasps (come and take the bl**dy things back you b*ggers!), etc down here in Melbourne, (as well as some excellent four-wheel driving).

As for beaches, the Mornington peninsula both bay and ocean side.  Or travel a little further east to Ninety Mile beach/Gippsland Lakes or west down the great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay, etc, etc.

Regarding internet, basically you're screwed - welcome to the real world.

Although when you get here and have a place go to Whirlpool and use their plan finder to find an ISP but whatever you do, DO NOT choose BigPongd.

EDIT: Oh yeah, regarding the spiders please don't hurt the Huntsmanw spider if you find him in your house, just pick him up on a broom or something and stick him outside.  They're not poisonous and do a good job wandering around eating insects although they do get rather large so you might be surprised by one staring down at you while sitting on the toilet.

You'll also get the shock of your life when you flip down the sun visor in the car and have one drop in your lap  ;D

Oh Jeez... When I said spiders freak me out... I meant...

SPIDERS FREAK ME OUT~!

Huntsman? Use a broom? CRIPES! You need a forklift for those things~! Up to 30cm?  :'(

...So... what are the laws in Australia regarding fully automatic weapons?  :o (I assume that Howitzers and bazookas are out of the question...) And what's the largest legal caliber?

As for being screwed... I've been so spoiled here in Korea... 10 Mbps is slow. Uncapped. That's the part where I cry!! I looked at Australian ISPs... They're seriously primitive in comparison. All my friends that have moved there complained about it. Well... All my friends that move out of Korea period complain about crappy ISPs, slow speeds, and ridiculous caps and policies. Sigh... $140 AUD for... Sob sob sob sob~!

I heard that the entire Australian Internet infrastructure is up for a rehaul though. I'm sure that will be very welcome.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 11:27 PM »
I heard that the entire Australian Internet infrastructure is up for a rehaul though. I'm sure that will be very welcome.

yeah, but it's a government 'initiative' so there's no guarantee things are going to get better...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 11:55 PM »
So I won't be trading places with anyone. I don't think my wife would approve. ;) (I got married this past May.) She's the reason I'm moving there, as she's doing her Ph.D. in Banking and Finance at Monash University.

Belated congrats on the nuptials  :Thmbsup:

Regarding ISP's and speed - Koreans moan about it here, too (Canada). I gloat a bit when I tell them that its because our infrastructure underlying the internet is 100 years old and then I crawl off somewhere and feel privately very inadequate...

EDIT: I can't spell...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 11:58 PM by Darwin »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 12:19 AM »
EDIT: Oh yeah, regarding the spiders please don't hurt the Huntsmanw spider if you find him in your house, just pick him up on a broom or something and stick him outside.  They're not poisonous and do a good job wandering around eating insects although they do get rather large so you might be surprised by one staring down at you while sitting on the toilet.

You'll also get the shock of your life when you flip down the sun visor in the car and have one drop in your lap  ;D

There's only one rule I have with spiders: If I see one, it dies!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01 AM »
Huntsman? Use a broom? CRIPES! You need a forklift for those things~! Up to 30cm?  :'(

Nah, we only have the titchy ones here in Oz, about 10cm across is the biggest I've seen.

...So... what are the laws in Australia regarding fully automatic weapons?  :o (I assume that Howitzers and bazookas are out of the question...) And what's the largest legal caliber?

Any full/semi-auto rifles, full/semi-auto and pump-action shotguns are basically a no-no due to a typical knee-jerk reaction on the part of the government.  (Before anyone points out, full-auto rifles/shotguns were never legal here prior to the new laws.)

Largest legal calibre, hmm, probably the .460 Wetherby (if you can find one), otherwise go blackpowder and get a .50 calibre :)  Personally, nothing says go away better than a 12 gauge at close range :D

They're seriously primitive in comparison. All my friends that have moved there complained about it. Well... All my friends that move out of Korea period complain about crappy ISPs, slow speeds, and ridiculous caps and policies. Sigh... $140 AUD for... Sob sob sob sob~!

Probably the best deal is $88 for 1500/256 from RegionalConnect for uncapped.  A friend regularly downloads 250-300GB/month on that.

Nope, it won't.  It will cost more for end users who will be forced onto it by having the existing infrastructure ripped up, see Ehtyar's Tech News item number 4.

Personally, they can take their National Broadband initiative and shove it up their collective ....[censored]....

EDIT: Oh yeah, add to that their National ISP based content filtering which you'll be forced into because they own the whole network and it's time to seriously think about starting a revolution in this progressively backwards going country.

I gloat a bit when I tell them that its because our infrastructure underlying the internet is 100 years old and then I crawl off somewhere and feel privately very inadequate...

Let me join you with our antique phone cable system.  :(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:14 AM by 4wd »

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 01:17 AM »
Oh Jeez... When I said spiders freak me out... I meant...
SPIDERS FREAK ME OUT~!

Check this out  http://www.cairns.co...1601_local-news.html

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 01:26 AM »
There's only one rule I have with spiders: If I see one, it dies!

ABSOLUTELY!  :Thmbsup:

Renegade - come to Sunny South Africa! You'll get a 384kbps (yes I said 384kbps) and a generous 3GB cap all for around R450 - +- $50.... Oh, and I forgot to mention that only one provider for the ADSL line (Telkom) and don't even think about downloading on a Friday as you get Dial Up speed!  :o

;D

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 04:21 AM »
There is a fun webapp at http://www.speedtest.net/ (and http://www.pingtest.net/ ) which will tell you the speed of your connection from point to point in the world.

Best bit is the View World Results at the bottom. Take it all with a pinch of salt though. Apparently the average European speed is 6.74 Mb but it doesn't alter the fact that while some people are getting in excess of 40Mb there is a huge variation. Within 3 miles of where I live I have seen broadband speeds as low as 200Kb/s up to around 7500Kb/s. I have also seen customers who can't get broadband at all (even though all of the surrounding houses have it - some of the houses are joined together but neighbours have different experiences).

The whole thing is a lottery.

One of my friends was surprised that if she went from the north of England to Nepal she would stand a better chance of getting broadband and it would probably be faster!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2009, 01:14 AM »
That means that I have no more "slow" internet speed at 10 Mbps with unlimited bandwidth for less than $30 USD... (Yep... that's the slow one where I live now... but only for another couple days...)

do you have a url to one of the ISP's advertisement? this will be a good way to rub it in on the local ISPs here.