ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Can Buttons be Dynamically Moved, Resized, etc. in Your Language?

<< < (2/4) > >>

SingingBoyo:
I might try Java, but it is a whole lot like C++.  
-CodeTRUCKER (December 11, 2009, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did I read that right?  Java is very different from C++.  Simpler, better tutorial, (Sun Java tutorial) and a massive graphics API that make GUI development easy...  C++ is a nightmare to understand, but Java is easier, and better documented.  Not to mention OS independant  :D

I'd suggest writing a couple simple GUI programs to get the hang of it before launching a full-sized project, but they can just be simple apps that take an hour or so to write

CodeTRUCKER:
I might try Java, but it is a whole lot like C++.  
-CodeTRUCKER (December 11, 2009, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Did I read that right?  Java is very different from C++.  Simpler, better tutorial, (Sun Java tutorial) and a massive graphics API that make GUI development easy...  C++ is a nightmare to understand, but Java is easier, and better documented.  Not to mention OS independant  :D

I'd suggest writing a couple simple GUI programs to get the hang of it before launching a full-sized project, but they can just be simple apps that take an hour or so to write
-SingingBoyo (December 12, 2009, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I apologize.  I was writing about my last real experience with Java ten years ago.  Not exactly a fair comparison, right?   Ok, I'll give it a fair chance and we'll see what comes up.  :)

Stoic Joker:
If I had to make a choice between Java & VB, I'd go with VB. I've never really seen a Java application that I liked, they always seem to be flaky, persnickety, and unstable. Sure I've used to for quickie bits on a web page, but I'd never try doing anything serious with it.

Seems to me that the only real "advantage" to Java is the one size fits all cross platform usage. However if being cross platform isn't an objective, then there is always a better way. This is for the same reason that a swiss army knife is a poor substitute for a proper tool kit. Sure it's handy for the type of quick fixes you can do while wearing a suit ... But don't try rebuilding an engine with one.

SingingBoyo:
Seems to me that the only real "advantage" to Java is the one size fits all cross platform usage. However if being cross platform isn't an objective, then there is always a better way. This is for the same reason that a swiss army knife is a poor substitute for a proper tool kit. Sure it's handy for the type of quick fixes you can do while wearing a suit ... But don't try rebuilding an engine with one.
-Stoic Joker (December 12, 2009, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

And RMI (big one for going easy on the sockets, though not necessary for this project), and easy graphics, a massive library that does just about anything, and CONSOLIDATED documentation!!!  I'll repeat myself...  CONSOLIDATED documentation.  There are many languages with good documentation, but I haven't found one yet with a complete tutorial that covers just about everything, with the exception of Java's excellent Sun Java Tutorial.  That was one of the biggest problems for me with C++, along with the sheer number of compilers out there - C++ has no tutorial that covers all the libraries out there, mainly because the C++ standard libraries are small, and most others are developed as open-source or compiler-specific. 

I don't know about VB, but I would hazard a guess that, being a microsoftism (nothing against Microsoft, great OS's, but the languages aren't very good IMO), has documentation without flexibility and while it apparently does graphics well, I doubt it has the sheer ability 'create-an-object-and-be-done-five-lines-later' that java has, and seems to be missing the button drag n' drop ability that you want, while I KNOW that somewhere, Java has a drag and drop interface for components, though I haven't been able to find it:P

And yes, I do realize I'm biased, spending 6 months straight of 4 hours a day when you are still in high school writing a java program will do that   :o

f0dder:
Java is nice and all, but oh god the development environments I've tried (Eclipse and NetBeans) have their quirks - especially when it comes to GUI designers, which are quirky beyond reason... an the debuggers absolutely suck compared to what Visual Studio has. The refactoring support is nice, though, and possible because Java is so much simpler to parse than C++.

Since you've done VB, well, I'd say go for that - it's pretty darn fast to do GUIs in. Sounds like a somewhat weird thing you want to design, btw :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version