ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google's Eric Schmidt has a stupid moment on privacy

<< < (2/3) > >>

OldElmerFudd:
It's not just big corporations and the government we have to worry about. A rubber duck can steal your identity on facebook.
-app103 (December 11, 2009, 03:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not a Facebooker or any of the social network users, but the ducky experiment is just plain surprising. How can presumably rational individuals give so much of themselves away? It makes me think the concept of personal privacy has been eroded beyond repair, even though I truly hope not.

mwb1100:
[deleted - my whole post was basically in the original message that started the thread...]

Paul Keith:
I didn't get the Total Recall reference. Can anyone explain?

icekin:
My only 3 issues with Bing and Yahoo search (or any other search):

1) Its slow compared to Google 
2) The quality of the results is not as good.
3) There are no extensions for it. (e.g. Optimize Google for Firefox, or the numerous Greasemonkey scripts)

Otherwise, all the search engines pretty much offer the same experience.

Tuxman:
1) Its slow compared to Google-icekin (December 23, 2009, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on how you measure it.  ;D

2) The quality of the results is not as good.-icekin (December 23, 2009, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
I wouldn't actually call Google's search results "good". Clusty.com is "good" in terms of quality, Google, at least, in terms of quantity.

3) There are no extensions for it. (e.g. Optimize Google for Firefox, or the numerous Greasemonkey scripts)-icekin (December 23, 2009, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D now that is a criterion I had never thought about.

I strongly advise against using Google for anything. Privacy should be our most important property. I don't want a commercial company to know anything about my personality. (And I don't want it to drive around in cars, taking pictures of me without asking me for permission first.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version