ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm beginning my experiment with Linux and other OS's.

<< < (9/9)

40hz:
On the flip side, I have Win7 running in a VM and it works fine. Go figure!
-zridling (December 24, 2009, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd guess that since Windows is *the* dominant OS, it behooves the creators to make sure their VM works well with Windows rather than the other way around.

And that's not going to change any time soon - if at all.

I personally think that any real opportunity for Linux to oust Windows from its dominant position on the desktop has long gone by. If Microsoft screwed up royally on Windows 7, there might have been a chance. But they didn't.

There's been some serious discussions about the whole concept of "good enough" software in previous DC forum threads. And I think there's a very real truth behind that notion. Windows is "good enough" for the desktop. And that's really all most people will ever need. So barring some external factor (cost, curiosity, special requirements, or simple bloodymindedness) there's really very little reason to try to escape Microsoft's gravitational pull.

I've recently come to reassess my thinking about what Linux is all about. To my mind, it's no longer so much about revolution as it is about choice.

And I guess that's "good enough" for me. :)

Deozaan:
- Discover the Droid fonts. They're nice. Along with that, subpixel rendering. Makes every word on the screen crystal clear with a decent monitor.-zridling (December 21, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Am I being daft? I don't see any information on that website about how to get the Droid fonts for linux (or if they're available for Windows that would be cool, too). Do you have to use Chromium OS?

40hz:
- Discover the Droid fonts. They're nice. Along with that, subpixel rendering. Makes every word on the screen crystal clear with a decent monitor.-zridling (December 21, 2009, 05:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Am I being daft? I don't see any information on that website about how to get the Droid fonts for linux (or if they're available for Windows that would be cool, too). Do you have to use Chromium OS?
-Deozaan (December 25, 2009, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can download the Droid fonts from here:

http://damieng.com/blog/2007/11/14/droid-font-family-courtesy-of-google-ascender

(scroll to the bottom for the download links)

:Thmbsup:

zridling:
No, Deozaan, I was being daft. Sorry about that. Thanks for the link, 40hz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version