ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster

<< < (20/26) > >>

techidave:
Ok,SJ, I have been thinking about this for a bit and just decided to ask you about it.  Is it possible the PC will report the amount of RAM installed??

By the way, I ran this program on a new-to-me network and it worked beautifully.  Showed me all the printers on the network.

thanks again!

Stoic Joker:
I never really thought about trying it because printers unlike computers don't really need upgrades that often. So unless a printer is being sent multiple large jobs the default memory is usually just fine. On those rare occasions the WebAccess link (to the printers EWS) will get you the rest of the info about the printer's config. But that's after verifying that it's running out of memory ... which usually takes some futzing around.

What is it you're running into/doing that brought the memory into question?

techidave:
I know I have quite a few printers that came with the default memory whatever that was.  I was just looking for a quick and easy to way to get that information. 

I can always use the web access part and find that out.

I know there are some older printers that get hit quite hard and if they had a low amount of memory, say 16 meg or something then I could upgrade it.

It was just a thought as I was being lazy.  This is probably getting beyond the original intent of the program.

Stoic Joker:
I know there are some older printers that get hit quite hard and if they had a low amount of memory, say 16 meg or something then I could upgrade it.-techidave (January 10, 2010, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
To what end? They're not going to print faster (they only run at one speed). If the computer(s) sending he print jobs start to lagg because the spooler on the printer isn't/can't keeping up then there might be a memory issue. But this could also be traffic or a corrupt spooler on the comp. If the printer says it's running out of memory (error message on its display or error report), then there is a memory issue. But, explore what is causing it first. Adobe Acrobat (v6,7 & 8 ) was a classic for this if you sent a large document, or a document that needed to be scaled up (like engineering blueprints), it would exhaust the print devices memory, hang the computer's spooled or both. The "fix" was to use the print as image option and then the print job would sail through just fine. I've actually seen this happen first hand many times ...(Out of Memory error caused by Acrobat)... With a high-end Plotter that had 256MB native memory & a 40GB hard drive.

Did I mention that Printer memory can be insanely expensive (like $100+ a stick) if you get it from the manufacturer direct?

It was just a thought as I was being lazy.  This is probably getting beyond the original intent of the program.
--- End quote ---
Hay thoughts are good, The only reason I got permission from the company to release PC here (it was supposed to be a limited release... (oops)), was that I convinced them we could get better testing and feedback from a techy audience. Granted development is currently stalled due to other more pressing projects/time constraints but PC is part of a suite of Printer Management utilities. So any thing that is considered/proves to be useful very well may make it into the suite somewhere.

techidave:
I was printing a pdf over the weekend and the length of time it took to spool it was amazing. (on adobe reader 9).  it seems like it was only a 1 meg file anyway.  I do know that a job with images on it takes longer to spool than a plain text document does.  If I am not mistaken then pdf's are an "image", which is one of the reasons they look so nice.

i know that more memory will help with printing bigger jobs.  for a moment there, I was thinking that more memory in a printer would be like more memory in a computer.   :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version