ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Release: Page Countster

<< < (3/26) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Thanks SJ.  I cannot wait to try it tomorrow.  we had a snow day off today, but since I am only 2 blocks from school; I will go over tomorrow even if we don't have school.-techidave (December 08, 2009, 07:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
Cool, thanks!

I like the fact that it gives the page count too.  Could it also give the amount of toner left too? 

--- End quote ---
Reliably no, depending on the age & brand of printer. There is a small group of industry standard (RFC something or the other) SNMP OIDs but the toner level(s) ain't on that list. That and the printers ability to accurately sense its own toner levels has only recently become possible. The toner level in the cartridge is only calculated and not actually ever really measured. Some re-manufactured cartridges come without the chip required to calculate the toner levels, so the toner "Gauge" will simply "stick" at what ever the last reading it got was. While the calculations are getting better now that they are factoring the actual average page coverage instead of assuming 5%... it's still kind of a crap shoot.

Please understand I have spent hundreds of hours researching the relevant technologies & protocols used by/for printer management in the (roughly) 3 years this has been in development. So if I seem reluctant to try or implement something it's generally because I've already been burnt trying :)

Mouser did have a good point regarding the printer's on-board configuration & status web-server. All network printers have them so the more detailed info like toner levels can be gleaned from them via the context menu.

Shades:
Would the following suggestion help?

Page Teller

or

Print Teller

or

PrinTell

Stoic Joker:
if it's not working as expected (HA!), F**KeR)
-Target (December 08, 2009, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's already happened... ;)

Stoic Joker:
Would the following suggestion help?

Page Teller

or

Print Teller

or

PrinTell
-Shades (December 08, 2009, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

But what if I get sued by Penn & Teller...

I'd like to work the word scan in there some how, but as usual most of the good names are already taken.

techidave:
thanks for the info, SJ.  I knew that the gauge was somewhat recent.

Not that I would ever want you to try anything that would crash your app.

I currently use the web interface to check toner levels and page counts.  And I was just looking for a way to get everything on "one page".  mac address, serial number, etc.

this is something I have desired for a while.  I just never thought to ask about it.  not that I ever did ask for it. :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version