ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Pre-release: FenixContacts

<< < (3/9) > >>

fenixproductions:
2superboyac
Thank you for your offer and I am sorry because there is currently no need for any assistance yet. I will definitely sk for help when Help file will be needed or some graphics.

If you can do icons it would be nice to have the following ones (instead of taking overused famfamfam icons) for field types:
text string, number (integer), number (float), file link (for filex executing or URLs), date/time and image. In the future "field / fields group link" may be used too.

I may have other requests as soon as I start playing with GUI instead of backend.

--Be able to insert email addresses (or other info...telephone #, street address, etc.) wherever the cursor is in whatever program.  This is similar to one of those clipboard managers that can insert text to wherever the cursor, except in this case, it only applies to addresses.  But the program should be called up and used in a similar manner
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

That one may be tricky but added to ToDo list of course.

--The address details for each entry should be fully customizable as far as what fields go in.  (first name, last name, street address, etc., as well as the ability for custom fields of course).
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

I think that per contact fields would confuse too much. There will be some customization for fields types but each contact will have the same fields available. Although I am planning to give an option to hide empty fields in view mode. In edit - all will be shown.

--Should be allowed to attach pictures to entries.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

That's what image field type will be for.

--There should be a live search-as-you-type filter to quickly select the address you want.  And you should be able to search ALL fields, not just the name or something.  This is almost identical to the program PowerMarks, which is a bookmark manager that does exactly what I'm saying here.  In fact, it's so similar that I asked the author of that program to consider making this software, but I don't think he was interested.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

That was one of the very first requirements which crossed my mind.

--The program should be very lightweight, fast, and SIMPLE!  I can't stress that enough.  Nothing bulky.-superboyac
--- End quote ---

It is always hard to have something highly customizable and simple at the same time ;) I am not sure about "lightweight" requirement because I am using .NET after all.

--There should be a fairly complex way to share fields of information between different entries.  For example, let's say you have an entry for a husband and a wife.  They have different first names, but same last names, same address, different email addresses, different cell phone numbers.  So there should be some way to link the common information together and keep the other information separate.  And by "link" I really mean link, not just copy the same field.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

Perry already mentioned linking. The way I see it working is to have the possibility to link fields / fields groups to other entries. Changing original entry will change the rest of contacts which rely on some properties of that one. Other idea was too have "static contacts/fields" which would not be normally visible on contacts list but could be referenced to.

I also did big mini-review of several of the programs, you can find that here:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2292.0
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

I'll take a look for ideas for sure.

fenixproductions:
Well, that would fit in with some of the other dreadful teases that have been posted  ;D  But seriously, I think that would be great fun and well within the fun loving spirit of NANY!  :Thmbsup:-Perry Mowbray (December 14, 2009, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK then.

Current version looks like this (I am still working on fields form):

But I started with this (and hope it will be future look) before realizing that I will not make in time if I go such way since the beginning:

Perry Mowbray:
 :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
fenix, thanks for replying to my comments.  I agree with whatever direction you take.  It's really an ambitious project, so I'm just grateful you are taking it up.  I can definitely help with icons and stuff.  When you are ready, just let me know your requirements.

Perry Mowbray:
As superboyac says, this is not a trivial task, so thanks for even looking at it!

I thought I'd add my comments...

--Be able to insert email addresses (or other info...telephone #, street address, etc.) wherever the cursor is in whatever program.  This is similar to one of those clipboard managers that can insert text to wherever the cursor, except in this case, it only applies to addresses.  But the program should be called up and used in a similar manner
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

That one may be tricky but added to ToDo list of course.
-fenixproductions (December 15, 2009, 04:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd go for Drag & Drop as an easy way of filling a form from data on some other form

--The address details for each entry should be fully customizable as far as what fields go in.  (first name, last name, street address, etc., as well as the ability for custom fields of course).
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

I think that per contact fields would confuse too much. There will be some customization for fields types but each contact will have the same fields available. Although I am planning to give an option to hide empty fields in view mode. In edit - all will be shown.
--- End quote ---

That's actually something that bugs me with OC: you have to add individual fields each time. They attempt to get around it by having contacts start with certain fields and you can add fields in groups.

I think groups are a good idea.

--There should be a live search-as-you-type filter to quickly select the address you want.  And you should be able to search ALL fields, not just the name or something.  This is almost identical to the program PowerMarks, which is a bookmark manager that does exactly what I'm saying here.  In fact, it's so similar that I asked the author of that program to consider making this software, but I don't think he was interested.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

That was one of the very first requirements which crossed my mind.
--- End quote ---

Not sure how you're thinking of implementing, but inline search qualifiers are really powerful: like how Google does search, intitle, etc.

--There should be a fairly complex way to share fields of information between different entries.  For example, let's say you have an entry for a husband and a wife.  They have different first names, but same last names, same address, different email addresses, different cell phone numbers.  So there should be some way to link the common information together and keep the other information separate.  And by "link" I really mean link, not just copy the same field.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---

Perry already mentioned linking. The way I see it working is to have the possibility to link fields / fields groups to other entries. Changing original entry will change the rest of contacts which rely on some properties of that one. Other idea was too have "static contacts/fields" which would not be normally visible on contacts list but could be referenced to.
--- End quote ---

To be honest, I mentioned relationships  ;)  I'd like to be able to see all the contacts who live at an address type thing.

But I like the linking idea.

Can I also mention tagging? or categories for contacts.

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version