ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (19/31) > >>

Curt:
- thanks.

I am trying it now, and can surely confirm that it can handle a lot more file types now, on Vista, than the last time I tried it, on XP or Win2000. However, I cannot see how it can be sufficient without the navigation panel. It feels awkward, without. Isn't it supposed to replace Explorer, or are you setting it as default for many file types?

sajman99:
My preference with Universal Viewer is to enable the "Show Explorer context menu" so I always have that option available whether I'm using a file manager or Explorer. I haven't chosen to set any file associations to Universal Viewer, but it still stands "ready" to deal with whatever file type I encounter.

With or without the navigation panel, Universal Viewer seems to be a very useful app to have available. :up:

mrainey:
I just gave KM Player a try, and on my system it opens and starts actually playing videos much faster than Light Alloy does.  It plays the flv's that Light Alloy choked on.  It has far more features and overall polish.  It's a much better program by any standard I can think of.

superboyac:
I just gave KM Player a try, and on my system it opens and starts actually playing videos much faster than Light Alloy does.  It plays the flv's that Light Alloy choked on.  It has far more features and overall polish.  It's a much better program by any standard I can think of.
-mrainey (December 27, 2009, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
There's no question KMPlayer is a better overall program with loads more features.  I find it hard to believe it starts fast than LA, but you never know.  I wouldn't be surprised if LA didn't handle flv files well.  flv files don't seem to be well supported by a lot of players.  But, still, from my experiences, for normal like avi/mpg/etc, LA is significantly faster to load than KMP.  But KMP is just, well, better overall.

superboyac:
Not sure how fast but if you need to handle large .mkv and .mp4 files on Windows you might try Splash

I use the free Lite version.  It can handle large files without crashing, the seek slider seems to work very smoothly whereas VLC will sometimes crash as soon as you advance the slider.  Also it claims, even in the Lite version, hardware acceleration for supported video cards.  On my quad core I have the acceleration enabled.  It doesn't seem to cut down on resource usage, but I haven't noticed any pauses when playing the video as I'll sometimes get with VLC or MPCHT.
-MilesAhead (December 26, 2009, 07:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Splash looks really cool!  Very nice looking player, and it 'feels' fast for now.  I haven't played with it extensively yet, but it looks promising, even if it is shareware for the pro version.  Hopefully, they will soon make it full featured.  It's pretty minimalist right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version