ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (20/31) > >>

MilesAhead:
One thing about it that contrasts with players like VLC and MPCHT is it doesn't take up the whole screen or show oversized with scrollbars on HD content when run in Windowed mode.  When sampling video it's good to keep this in mind since the output tends to look glassier and smoother with the lower resolution.  But checking for graininess while maximized fixes that.  It's just easy to forget it.

The main thing with me is I haven't seen it crash yet from advancing the slider.  That's very frustrating when using VLC.  Seems like half the .mkv files crash as soon as you touch it.  There's supposed to be a new Lite version out soon with some bug fixes and perhaps a few new features.

superboyac:
One thing about it that contrasts with players like VLC and MPCHT is it doesn't take up the whole screen or show oversized with scrollbars on HD content when run in Windowed mode.  When sampling video it's good to keep this in mind since the output tends to look glassier and smoother with the lower resolution.  But checking for graininess while maximized fixes that.  It's just easy to forget it.

The main thing with me is I haven't seen it crash yet from advancing the slider.  That's very frustrating when using VLC.  Seems like half the .mkv files crash as soon as you touch it.  There's supposed to be a new Lite version out soon with some bug fixes and perhaps a few new features.

-MilesAhead (December 28, 2009, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's cool.  I also found that using the slider was pretty smooth with HD mkv files.  Most of my other players really struggled with the large mkv files.

superboyac:
Splash is really quite fast.  I've been very impressed by it over the last couple of days.  For anyone who cares to try, take one of your very large HD files and play them in Splash like MilesAhead said.  Then click around the seekbar to jump to different positions.  I haven't seen many if any players handle it that quickly and smoothly.

If Splash adds some more options I'll consider replacing Light Alloy for sure.

shobazi:
Thanks Java Jones for introducing this splayer..really interesting one I need to try out..I am using VLC from very long back..according to me it is right now i will try out splayer..

sajman99:
For those interested in a truly minimalist solution, KoolPlaya is actually a capable video player provided you have the codec support.

It obviously won't be replacing the fully-featured KMplayer or GOM Player on my system, but still I can't resist this little 452 kb executable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version