ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (10/31) > >>

Curt:
- yes, you are so right about the options interface, the design is really awful. So, one reason I am keeping SPlayer is that it took me so long to do the settings, that I can't defend to my time manager to make it wasted time!

Maybe I was calling SPlayer the more advanced version because of the Home Theater part, but I don't like that part either. However, all this is not about 'The Best' player, but about which video player is the fastest to use... once the settings have been done!

Curt:
SPlayer keeps getting better all the time! It now turns out that the Close on 'Exit' is called "BossKey". The key was different ("Ctrl+`"), but I simply changed this to "Esc", and Exit to "Ctrl+Esc".

Now I will have to use my imagination if I am to come up with more wishes.  

- hmm..: No! The BossKey has a side effect; the player doesn't pop up, when a video is double-clicked.
Argh! For a moment I thought everything was perfect.
And now WordWeb will no longer close on Escape!!
Sorry I was applauding to soon!
 :(

4wd:
- hmm..: No! The BossKey has a side effect; the player doesn't pop up, when a video is double-clicked.
Argh! For a moment I thought everything was perfect.
And now WordWeb will no longer close on Escape!!-Curt (December 11, 2009, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Should I mention that MPC-HC can do those things?

A new video will re-open the player and Escape only works on MPC-HC when it has focus, other programs work as usual when they have focus.
If you want the BossKey to work when MPC doesn't have focus then you need to pick a key combination that isn't used by another program - as it should be.

Curt:
- is this ALL true? To my (lack of) understanding, if I press Close, MPC will merely close the file, and stay in position on screen, not Close-and-minimize-to-systray. But of course, MPC also has hundreds of keys and settings, I might not have reached the proper combination yet.

4wd:
- is this ALL true? To my (lack of) understanding, if I press Close, MPC will merely close the file, and stay in position on screen, not Close-and-minimize-to-systray. But of course, MPC also has hundreds of keys and settings, I might not have reached the proper combination yet.-Curt (December 11, 2009, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Now you've provided more info, so:
a) MPC-HC will minimise to the Taskbar and perform as I said above regarding the BossKey.
b) If you have selected to use the Tray icon, it will minimise to the Tray icon when you press the BossKey but will not re-open when you double-click another video file - as you found with SPlayer.
c) When I click the Close button in MPC-HC, it closes...period.  The file closes, the interface closes, the program exits.  It doesn't Minimise-on-Close and I can't find an option for that.
d) If I select File->Close or use the keys for Close, then it does as you describe.  There is no Minimise-on-File Close option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version