ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Video player: What's the quickest (fastest/lightest)?

<< < (30/31) > >>

JavaJones:
I hear you, those "intangibles" can actually have a big influence on me as well. I have always hated that the KMPlayer dev wasn't that accessible (in English) and now with Pandora.tv owning it, I'm also a bit uncomfortable with that. I tried PotPlayer but it didn't really work for me even though it was nice to see more rapid development again. Honestly something like Splash is a beautiful attempt to simplify this whole thing while bringing it in to the modern age (full GPU acceleration, good scaling and other effects), but it falls short in other areas like format support and is missing a few too many options. Light Alloy seems very promising, especially now, given an active and accessible dev with English speaking ability (and willingness? hehe). I use The KMP not because I'm totally happy with it but because I haven't found anything better...

- Oshyan

Kinjal:
>I will have to take another look at LightAlloy.
Don't review 4.6.0 RC-2, since it buggy a bit, wait for 4.6.0 RC-3 (i'll also notify here somewhere when it became available, approximately we plan to release it in 25 August, just when we finish with rewrite major parts of code for unicode support and finish move to Delphi XE).
By the way, about your review, just had read it, well I liked it :) Very objective and unprejudiced review.

>and accessible dev with English speaking ability
Actually, anyone who has problems with player can easily add me to his ICQ/Skype/Live account for technical support/suggestions, I'm open-minded about it.

>What would make me choose Light Alloy over KMP?
It's depends. If you need not much heavy player, and you don't need a lot of tweaks that KMP/Potplayer provide you, and if you not gonna play some very extra rare media formats(that MPC-HC also cannot support), than you can drop a look at Light Alloy. Plus, since we use MPC-HC's codecs/splitters, all what is MPC can play also Light Alloy can to play.

P.S. And just a few words, about english-speaking users support. I was actually thinking, that no one use my video player outside of Russian-speaking countries, but as I can see at least a few people use it :) So if any problems with player ooccur for you, feel free to write to: our forums (my nickname there is "Vortex"), or to mine e-mail - , or skype/icq/livemessenger
P.P.S And again sorry for my bad English.

Curt:
I refuse to use Ligt Alloy if you don't stop excusing your English! Donationcoder's forum is made of people from all over the world; we have all learned to search for the meaning rather than for the good English..., so to speak. Your English is just fine :-) and I am looking forward to test the next version of Light Alloy.
 ;)

JavaJones:
Thanks for being so supportive of your users here, this is really impressive from a freeware developer. Honestly I would drop KMP for LA on that basis alone, as long as all the major features I need are there. I *like* the extreme customizability of KMP, at least in principle, but I have to admit that I don't always know what I'm doing with it and do sometimes find it hard to fix some problems that I know KMP can resolve, but I don't know the right settings. If something "just works" as well or better than KMP, with fewer settings, that's good enough for me.

I hope to get another look at LA in the near future. Your RC3 post will remind me, hehe.

And by the way, as I said before, your English is fine. :)

- Oshyan

superboyac:
Yes kinjal, your english is perfectly fine!  We love that you are participating here, and hopefully more people will appreciate the good effort being made with this video player.

One of the tiny little feature requests I have is this (I got the idea from KMP):
It would be great to be able to control the volume steps.  Right now, Light Alloy can change the volume in increments of 5%.  I'd like to be able to set that increment to something else (either larger or smaller).  KMPlayer does it in this way:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version