ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > UrlSnooper

No network adapters detected!?

<< < (10/13) > >>

pogue:
I'm wondering about the auto detect adapter string, which by default says "Privacy".   Where is this line of text supposed to be coming from?  Google's index page or where exactly?
--- End quote ---

yes -- it's simply looking to see a specific string in the page it retrieves, in this case the string "Privacy" expected on the google page.  when found it means the page was seen.

first advice: completely forget about automatic network adapter detection -- just turn it off, it serves no value except to save you the trouble of selecting your adapter from the drop down list.

the real problem is your intel wireless adapter may not be supported by winpcap.
-mouser (October 06, 2010, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I played around with it a bit more and logged into a VPN I use that uses OpenVPN and low and behold URLSnooper was able to sniff traffic through the TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 driver.

Strange that Winpcap wouldn't support my wireless driver, as it's the standard Intel onboard adapter that comes with many laptops.  It's the Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN.  Here's a screen shot of my device drivers screen with the 2 Microsoft adapters, Intel wifi, ethernet, and TAP-Win32 drivers listed.  URLSnooper just doesn't see the Intel one.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6199/networkadapters.jpg

I did upgrade from Winpcap 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 prior to making this post, but I haven't tried updating the wifi adapter's drivers from the vendor/Intel.  Does Winpcap publish a list of adapters they support?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help mouser.

mouser:
there are definitely winpcap problems with some wireless adapters -- i think especially intel.  it's unfortunate but i don't know much more.. the winpcap site used to have an archived discussion list somewhere but it's hard to find now and im not sure where it is.

pogue:
there are definitely winpcap problems with some wireless adapters -- i think especially intel.  it's unfortunate but i don't know much more.. the winpcap site used to have an archived discussion list somewhere but it's hard to find now and im not sure where it is.
-mouser (October 06, 2010, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I found it

http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

Windows NT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win7/2008R2: the packet driver works ok on Ethernet networks. As for dial-up adapters and VPN connections, read Q5 and Q6.  As in Win9x,  FDDI, ARCNET, ATM and Token Ring are supported, but not tested by us.
Wireless adapters: these adapters may present problems, because they are not properly supported by the Windows Kernel. Some of them are not detected, other don't support promiscuous mode. In the best case, WinPcap is able to see an Ethernet emulation and not the real transiting packets: this means that the 802.11 frames are transformed into fake Ethernet frames before being captured, and that control frames are not received.
--- End quote ---

Gezza:
This is an old thread, but here's hoping.

URL Snooper works fine until VPN is started, when it cannot detect the network adapter.  Stop the VPN, and URL Snooper works fine.  From an earlier post, there seems to be an issue with Winpcap and VPN.

Does anyone know of alternatives to Winpcap that do work with VPN?

Thanks.

amir_333:
mouser thank you . your Souloution Worked for me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version