ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SPAMPAL replacement

(1/5) > >>

Rover:
I've had spampal running on my system for about a year now.  While it works very well at detecting spam, it HOGS my system.  I have a pretty spiffy P4 3Ghz w/ 2G of RAM.  Everytime spampal is used (checking mail) my system grinds to a near halt.  Web pages time out, response is sluggish.  I've had enough...

So what's a decent spam filtering tool I can use?  I'm currently using Becky2 Internet mail and I really don't want to change.  Something that fits in as a proxy (like spampal) will work just fine.

Thanks
Chris

Carol Haynes:
POPfile is an excellent filtering tool that can easily be taught to handle spam. It learns remarkably quickly (even though there is no spam database with it) what your preferences are and is incredibly accurate at predicting how you categorize email. Since it isn't strictly desgined to handle spam it is also incredibly flexible in filtering all sorts of email content as it arrives.

The interface is slightly clunky to some as the settings are accessed via a web page interface but it is incredibly powerful and updated regularly. If you can access webpages from within you email client then the POPfile interface can be a single click away. Note that this is only for setting up the system, once it is running properly you don't need to use that interface as you email client rules are used to filter the tagged messages automatically using the categories assigned by POPfile.

See http://popfile.sourceforge.net/ for full details.

If you are using Microsoft Outlook (2000, XP or 2003) as your email client there is also a free plugin called Outclass which gives you an easy to use toolbar to access all the popfile functions. If you use this be sure you read the Outclass installation instructions before installing anything as it requires POPfile to be installed but not configured in any way (and not even loaded). See http://www.vargonsoft.com/Outclass/

kimmchii:
i just use gmail, it has a very good spam filter.

mrainey:
I've used SpamPal for a long time, and haven't experienced the slowdowns you describe.

pand0ra:
I am using Incredimail and was wondering which spam filter to use with this, i have to buy the junk mail filter extra to buying incredimail.. :mad: so please can someone help me out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version