ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Strengths and Weaknesses of Mind Mapping Software Applications (MindMap)

(1/2) > >>

Paul Keith:
Some may feel like editing the contents in this page. Requires MindMeister or OpenID accounts.

http://www.mindmeister.com/32128559

mouser:
Hey! That's pretty cool, sorry I missed it the first time.
It's a mind map of mind map software:

J-Mac:
That's a pretty decent overview of the various software packages out there currently for mindmapping, or at least that refer to themselves as mindmapping apps.

I have used mindmaps for about five years, but purely as a personal tool. When I was still working I tried to get my employer to spring for a few licenses but they were not prepared to spend money on software - any software - unless they could tie it directly to a client project and pass the costs through. Understandable of course, so after I became unable to work I ended up buying a license for myself.

Some claim that they use it as their note-taking application of choice but I could never understand that; it just doesn't lend itself to quick/easy note-jotting IMO. I used it primarily for brainstorming (though some who think they know me claim the most I could muster would be minor brain flurries!   :o   :'(  ) However it really can be a great brainstorming tool IF you are visually stimulated. I have read a number of posts here at DC where many say they don't know where to begin. When I need to come up with a solution for a particular task or ideas for a project I start right there: I create a main topic with the project or problem stated clearly and then as I think about it, pace around, throw a ball against the wall - whatever you do when you're thinking about something - and as something comes to mind, no matter how weakly related, I throw it on the screen as a subtopic. Subtopics can all be tied to the main topic or you can have them free-floating; whichever way works for you. Once I get a bunch on the screen I sit down and start tying them to the main topic, each other, or leave then floating. I group ideas that seem to be connected in some way. Usually this begets a bit of synergy, if that is even the correct term here, and wholly new kinds of ideas spring from them.

Some subtopics/groups get discarded, some get worked more, until I have a fairly firm framework (alliteration unintended) of a project/solution. Then I usually convert it to an outline and proceed with a more detailed plan from there.

As I mentioned I don't see mindmaps as note-taking tools, nor as GTD guides, nor as much else except as an idea mapping tool.  Actually I do occasionally use the software for purely charting a group of items that I want to organize, but I would not be using a mindmap for this if I didn't already have the app.

Sorry if this post is out of line with the thread's intent, but I was searching mindmapping posts in here and saw that this one was fairly recent.

Thanks!

Jim

mwang:
I guess I of those who use a mind-mapping tool (Freemind to be exact) for note-taking, though not exclusively. I also use such tools (XMind mostly, though Freemind will do) for presentation, as I mentioned in the "must-have programs" thread.

J-Mac:
I guess I of those who use a mind-mapping tool (Freemind to be exact) for note-taking, though not exclusively. I also use such tools (XMind mostly, though Freemind will do) for presentation, as I mentioned in the "must-have programs" thread.
-mwang (December 25, 2009, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not saying that they can't be used for note-taking; however they certainly don't work for me for note-taking! Just not convenient/spontaneous as taking my notes by hand.

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version