ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (30/36) > >>

40hz:
re: unRAID

Interesting concept. There are a few caveats. Not sure I'm totally wild about some of how this works. But since it's primarily being used as a media storage server (where there's nothing that can't be replaced) it seems to be an OK compromise. Definitely not a good choice for a standard data server however. But who cares? As long as you understand what it is - and what it's good for - there shouldn't be any bad surprises. I'd definitely want to run it on new and good quality hardware. This isn't one of those "raid your junk closet for parts" projects.

@SB - thanks for sharing. I'm generally clueless about this type of product so it's always great when somebody points something like this out to me.

Note: Revision 3 did a segment w/walkthru on unRAID a few years back. Look at it here. It's 2+ years old so some of the commentary may be (likely is?) out of date with the current release.

Addendum:

Getting this (see below) when attempting to go to http://lime-technology.com didn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.  ;D

8)

Stoic Joker:
The registration is tied to the serial number of a flash drive?? Yeesh. It was interesting until I got there.

40hz:
I also noticed how there were some possible GPL violation questions that had been brought up about Lime Technologies and unRAID.  :-\

Does anybody know what the status or resolution was on that point?  :huh:

Because if there's an unresolved GPL issue, that's a total showstopper for me no matter how good a product might be.  :(

superboyac:
OK, forget the unraid thing.  I'll just go with a normal windows server.  I'm close guys, I'm close!!

Stoic Joker:
OK, forget the unraid thing.-superboyac (September 07, 2011, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well that frees up my evening ... Now I can work on the local Humane Society's website. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version