ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (26/36) > >>

Stoic Joker:
They are mathematically bases guesses, or assumptions if you will.
-Stoic Joker (September 02, 2011, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, they're a lot more than that. -40hz (September 02, 2011, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Only to the person that created them. Because only they know the (true) reasoning behind whatever deviation(s) has/have been used to achieve said target number(s). Statistics are projections of what might be if ... All of the other formulaic assertions used fall into place in accordance with the known factual parameters used, and nothing odd happens. To anyone else there simply an educated guess, that leverages their level of trust in whom ever ran-the-numbers.

Much unlike facts, which require empirical evidence/reproducible results, "valid" statistics merely have to avoid being dead wrong.

Discussion that happens frequently at the office (usually on rush jobs):
Brass: So, how's the testing going?
Me: Well, the first test went well.
Brass: So it works then...
Me: No. The first test didn't fail... But a statical sampling of one doesn't prove shit to anyone (or at least it shouldn't...)
Brass: Oh... Okay, I'll come back later.

Stoic Joker:
Scampering back on topic...

Only issue I foresee with the Uber NAS is that without some manner of high speed backbone connecting the NAS to something that can manipulate the files on it. File maintenance could be agonizingly slow. And if you gotta buy something to run it (eek!) cost with no real return.

If you got your heart set on a rack system, that's fine. But best bang-for-the-buck would IMO be one of the 2U 6 slot rack servers. That way you always can go in and manipulate the files locally instead on over the wire.

2U PowerEdge 2950 with 6 hot-swap bays
3 3TB drives
4GB RAM
Dual Xeon  5150 processors
and a legally licensed copy of Win Server 2003 (32 or 64 bit)

Came out to $1,934 from the site configurator.

You get plenty of room for expansion, and the convenience of local file access. Then if the project really gets huge you can easily add the uber NAS to the rack and let the server handle it.

40hz:

Only to the person that created them. Because only they know the (true) reasoning behind whatever deviation(s) has/have been used to achieve said target number(s). Statistics are projections of what might be if ... All of the other formulaic assertions used fall into place in accordance with the known factual parameters used, and nothing odd happens. To anyone else there simply an educated guess, that leverages their level of trust in whom ever ran-the-numbers.

-Stoic Joker (September 02, 2011, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're drastically oversimplifying. And you know it too! (I say that because I'm assuming you took at least two semesters of college-level stats.)   ;D

Besides, you're mixing sociological and political arguments in with a discussion of a branch of mathematics. Nothing good ever comes from doing that.  ;)8)

------------
@superboy - Scampering back on topic myself, I'll +1 w/SJ on that 2U/6-slot bang-for-the-buck opinion. The config he specc'ed gives you 12TB (or 8 usable w/RAID-5) plus a set of Xeons for a very good price - with room for an additional three drives if/when it turns out you need them. Getting that licensed copy of Win2k3 Server thrown in as part of the deal is an extra dollop of sweet sauce.

Nice work SJ! :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Scampering back on topic...

Only issue I foresee with the Uber NAS is that without some manner of high speed backbone connecting the NAS to something that can manipulate the files on it. File maintenance could be agonizingly slow. And if you gotta buy something to run it (eek!) cost with no real return.

If you got your heart set on a rack system, that's fine. But best bang-for-the-buck would IMO be one of the 2U 6 slot rack servers. That way you always can go in and manipulate the files locally instead on over the wire.

2U PowerEdge 2950 with 6 hot-swap bays
3 3TB drives
4GB RAM
Dual Xeon  5150 processors
and a legally licensed copy of Win Server 2003 (32 or 64 bit)

Came out to $1,934 from the site configurator.

You get plenty of room for expansion, and the convenience of local file access. Then if the project really gets huge you can easily add the uber NAS to the rack and let the server handle it.
-Stoic Joker (September 02, 2011, 06:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't understand how this is different than the configuration I posted on the previous page.  I don't mean technically, I mean conceptually.  Isn't this a rack/server type setup just like the one I posted from Stallard?

--- End quote ---
i am not following this at all, please explain.  What is a high speed backbone?  Why would file maintenance be slow?  What's the point of something like this if file maintenance is agonizingly slow?  Also, is there a high speed backbone missing on the configuration I posted?  You're obviously seeing some issue that is totally transparent to me.

lotusrootstarch:
superboyac, if you are able to configure NIC teaming (with your switch) or proper load-balancing it should work out fine.

If the plan is to rely on single Gig link to the backbone switch please be very patient during file operations. :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version