ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (25/36) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Hm... I'll have to mull that over for a bit, as it's early, and statistics tend to annoy me...  :D

But thanks for taking a crack at it!

40hz:

... it's early, and statistics tend to annoy me...  :D

-Stoic Joker (September 02, 2011, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! Really?

I'm gonna have to introduce you to my Mom some day. She feels the same way about facts.  

Facts make her angry.  ;)

Stoic Joker:
I have no problem with facts. I like facts. However statistics are not facts ... They are mathematically bases guesses, or assumptions if you will.

It's a side effect of spending a great deal of my life pushing a (two wheeled) vehicle right up to and well beyond the very ragged razor edge ... of what it statistically was not capable of doing.

As Hon Solo said in the original Star Wars, "Never tell me the odds...". ;)

I am a fan of the chaos theory, and I tend to root for the X factor.

40hz:
They are mathematically bases guesses, or assumptions if you will.
-Stoic Joker (September 02, 2011, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, they're a lot more than that. The only problem for the general public is that statistics is such a little understood branch of mathematics that most people neither respect nor 'get' what it's about.

And considering how widely misused and misquoted statistics are, it's small wonder.  :)

superboyac:
The setup I posted above is not that expensive (~$1500).  A Q-NAP or Synology NAS that can hold 10 drives would cost me $1500-2000.  So the price is not really an issue.  Now, I still like having commercial grade stuff, so I'm not sold on the NAS yet.  What I want to add to that quote is some kind of rack that can hold at least 10 drives.  Something like a Dell PowerVault:

If I add that to my setup, buy all the hard drives, and find a nice 4-foot tall cabinet for it, I think I'm set.  Right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version