ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (22/36) > >>

superboyac:
...what makes something more serious than another thing?-superboyac (September 01, 2011, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

The desire to still have it available after something goes wrong.

95% of the businesses that lose their data go out of business within 3 years. <-That was critical information going poof!)

Can you redefine the actual requirements for the project for us? I keep thinking you are wanting to get like 13+TB of data stored in a (long term) stable environment. But I could be off in the weeds a bit. :)
-Stoic Joker (September 01, 2011, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sure, I'll redefine it.  I think you are still correct: I basically want to store anywhere from 4-10 TB of data is a long-term, stable, etc. environment.  The reason for the huge range is because I don't know how quickly it can expand.  Right now, I have about 4TB of stuff, a lot of it on external drives and discs.  I want to centralize everything.  I don't know why the amount of data bothers people.  The knee-jerk reaction is always "Why do you need so much data??  What's the matter with you??"  and I really don't get why it's such a crazy thing.  First, hard drives are super cheap: 10 TB of hard drives is like $500, so what?  Is that really that expensive and crazy?

The other thing that's a headache for me right now is backing stuff up.  i want triple redundancy, which to me just means more hard drives.  No big deal.  I ain't losing my shit if I can help it.  I've lost it once before, and I never want it to happen again unless there's an Act of God.

I just want a box that will store tons of data and will be expandable if I need to add drives.  That's my only real requirement.  Everything else will be dictated by how nice it is and how expensive it is.  I like nice things and will pay for them...to a point.  bang for the buck is what I do.

This is not the end of it.  My master plan is to really tie down all of my file/folder access needs.  I've been using Dropbox which is nice, but the 2GB limit is now an issue.  I don't like cloud services, and I have have way too much data for cheap cloud services.  I'm against paying monthly bills for anything if I can help it.  So I will go to great lengths to create my own dropbox, and I've figured out a way to do it and it's awesome.  I can't wait to try it out.  You guys will think it's crazy, but believe me, it's awesome.  It's a bit of an expensive project for something people would consider a luxury or a hobby, but it's important to me. 

Lashiec:
First, hard drives are super cheap: 10 TB of hard drives is like $500, so what?  Is that really that expensive and crazy?
-superboyac (September 01, 2011, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course. When you can buy a complete computer for that money, most people are going to flip over at the prospect of blowing away $500 in a bunch of hard drives for personal use. Not everyone can afford that luxury.

skwire:
FWIW, I don't think 10+ TB of data space is over-the-top.  I currently have 12TB of space in my Windows Home Server box.

Stoic Joker:
First, hard drives are super cheap: 10 TB of hard drives is like $500, so what?  Is that really that expensive and crazy?
-superboyac (September 01, 2011, 12:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course. When you can buy a complete computer for that money, most people are going to flip over at the prospect of blowing away $500 in a bunch of hard drives for personal use. Not everyone can afford that luxury.-Lashiec (September 01, 2011, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

It ain't luxury, if you really need it.

Wasn't that long (4-ish years) ago I paid close to (if not a bit over) that for the 3 320GB drives that are (still) in my home machine now.

I've never seen a $500 computer that didn't make me wince (no that's a waste of money).

40hz:
there is no commercial grade NAS
-lotusrootstarch (September 01, 2011, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...

There's a huge market for something bigger than a file server that doesn't entail the complexity and expense of implementing a SAN solution. That's where NAS really shines. Several of my corporate clients already use NAS appliances. And several others plan on getting one.

So...perhaps somebody better inform NetApp, HP, Hitachi, and a host of other manufacturers, that there's no such thing as what they're selling?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version