ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (20/36) > >>

superboyac:
Ok ok, I hear you guys loud and clear...

I can let go of the rack, since everyone is saying it's way too much overkill even for me.  I agree.  So let's say I build a normal tower instead, I still need some box that will be able to handle 5-10 drives.  What is that box?  How will it connect to the tower?  Can I have everything in one enclosure somehow?  Is there some kind of enclosure where I can stack a tower and an additional disk bank in?

I'd like to hear more about what options exists as far as the disk drive banks.  I've settled on the Norco because it has the best bang for the buck by far, from what I've seen.

superboyac:
Sheesh...
Why don't I just get one of these and attach it to my desktop?  I know a lot of you really feel I should just go with a NAS.  Check it out:
http://www.synology.com/products/img/top/DS2411+.jpg

JavaJones:
Yes, do that (Synology). Let go of your over-engineering and save yourself $1000s. Seriously. Please. Dear lord. If you have money burning a hole in your wallet, I can help you spend it more usefully. ;)

There's overkill, and then there's just "will needlessly consume space and power, and generate lots of heat, with absolutely no benefit and increased cost and complexity to boot". You seem hell bent on making this impact your life in a big way and I'm not sure why. I feel like you can meet your *actual needs* with much lower cost and much less hassle. If you'd skipped the whole server idea you could have bought something by now.

Let go of the idea that "more = better". It doesn't. It really doesn't. Also, you will never get a perfect solution, ever. Trying to do so only makes it take longer until you have something, in the mean time your data is not as protected/secure/available as it could/should be.

- Oshyan

lotusrootstarch:
The NAS above is still a bit of an overkill in many ways lol. One or more $300 4-bay NAS (no frills but with gigabit NIC and raid controller) will do. Plenty of these on eBay up for grabs.

Storage/Network/Server is really at the bottom of any quality home theater architecture... important infrastructure but do not affect audio/visual experience. Money is better saved from these areas and later spent on things that do directly affect your eyes and ears, such as a good HDTV and HTS. You'd be surprised to find out what $5,000 can buy you in an immersive, 100% digital HD HT setup, really not that much, maybe just a TV if you get a bargain.

Just a thought. :)

Stoic Joker:
Commercial grade hardware vs. consumer grade hardware ... I hate consumer grade hardware.

Just went through this with a client a week ago:

IO Mega StorCenter 150, power blip wiped the config. Something was corrupt because it couldn't be reconfigured in a fashion that allowed anyone access the the files.

Tech Support says... It can't be fixed without a firmware update, but the firmware update it needs frequently wipes all the data on the box. Can't pull the data off the drive externally, because it's using some type of *nix based software RAID ... Good Times!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version