ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (8/36) > >>

superboyac:
AAhh!!  I love it!
40hz, I don't know...who are you??  Get out of my brain!

40hz:
@SB - sorry Bro. Server design...it's a sickness. I love these things. I really do.  :-*

It's gonna break my heart the day all the SMBs I have as clients finally migrate to the cloud and no longer have their own servers.

I think my great-grandfather felt the same way when the telephone finally replaced the handwritten letter as the primary means of personal communication after F2F conversation.

I shudder to think what he would have thought about something like Facebook or Twitter. ;D

Stoic Joker:
@ 40hz - A little crazy?!? Zoiks! I wonder how much torque 45 HDDs spinning up at once produces? Do they guage drive activity by how voilently the rack it's mounted in is shaking?

1.5GB x 45 drives to get to 67.5GB seems like a really old design considering they have 3TB drives now.

Then again my brother does work in a metal shop, so the case would be fairly cheap... :-\

superboyac:
In my previous job, I was working on a big surveillance system installation.  There were loads of cameras, and so much video.  Obviously, there were tons of hard drives, I don't remember how many.  But there were 2 or 3 banks of something like 40 hard drives.  All I remember was that the fans were VERY loud, like jet engines.

I think 40 meant 1.5 TB (unless I'm mistaken).

superboyac:
I love this stuff also.  It fits right in with my plans to live off the grid.  The only "service" I truly need is an internet connection.  I can manage to live without electricity (generator+ solar stuff), water (well), and sewage (fertilizer stuff).  but I still can't do without the ISP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version