ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (4/36) > >>

superboyac:
I totally forgot about this thread.

What do you guys think about Dell's Powervault line?  I was just eyeing the PowerVault MD1000 as my storage box.  I spoke to someone this weekend that highly recommended it, saying they are very well built and so forth.  I mean, The Norco unit that most consumers like me buy costs about $300, and this thing would cost like $3000.  So what is it that justifies a 10x price difference?

skwire:
Are you seriously thinking of dropping three large on an empty chassis?   :huh:  Think about it...you're already in three grand and you haven't even purchased a single hard drive yet.

My Windows Home Server has thirteen drives in a regular vanilla computer case that probably cost $60.  The only custom modifications I did to the case was to kit it out with plenty of fans and replace the stock PSU with a heavy-duty one.  I can't think of a single reason for you to buy something like that PowerVault.

superboyac:
I was only asking.  I don't have a problem spending it if there's a reason for it.  That's what I wanted to know.  I don't shy away from spending a little extra if the equipment is all rugged, well made, metal, etc.  vs. something cheap and plasticky.  But then we're talking 10x the price, so that might be a little too much to justify.

But I may very well go for that $300 Norco unit.  People seem to be pretty happy with that.  I also don't really want to do this with a normal tower case.  i want to build a mid-size rack.  Not one of those 7-footer ones, but like a mid-height thing around 4' or so.    I want to be semi-enterprise quality with this stuff, even though it's for home use.  I'm like that.

Stoic Joker:
I was just eyeing the PowerVault MD1000 as my storage box.-superboyac (January 10, 2011, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry if I sound like a broken record... I'm all for the off-lease commercial stuff. The company I mentioned in the other thread Stallard Technologies, Inc. handles those and they are indeed $3,000+ (refurbished). However...

I spoke to my contact there the last week (While ordering a PowerEdge 2800), and told him about DC. If you call the number on their site, ask for Geoff (pronounced Jeff), and tell him you're from here he'll work with you. No discounts were discussed, but if you need a configuration not listed in their site (small number of large drives with room to grow), he's the man to see; knowledgeable, honest, & fun to chat with.

Note: I also found out (last week) that they have a referral program, but that has no bearing on my decision to endorse them. I like the company because they have excellent service & quality product.

superboyac:
I was just eyeing the PowerVault MD1000 as my storage box.-superboyac (January 10, 2011, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry if I sound like a broken record... I'm all for the off-lease commercial stuff. The company I mentioned in the other thread Stallard Technologies, Inc. handles those and they are indeed $3,000+ (refurbished). However...

I spoke to my contact there the last week (While ordering a PowerEdge 2800), and told him about DC. If you call the number on their site, ask for Geoff (pronounced Jeff), and tell him you're from here he'll work with you. No discounts were discussed, but if you need a configuration not listed in their site (small number of large drives with room to grow), he's the man to see; knowledgeable, honest, & fun to chat with.

Note: I also found out (last week) that they have a referral program, but that has no bearing on my decision to endorse them. I like the company because they have excellent service & quality product.
-Stoic Joker (January 10, 2011, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks Stoic!  that's the kind of help I truly value.  I will definitely give him a call.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version