ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (18/36) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Hm... (Let me scamper a bit further out on the limb...)

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) as I understand it is the earliest statistically likely point for a given device to fail.

Now (operating completely without a net...), the odds of a coin landing heads up are 50/50. Which is to say that statistically there is a 50% chance of it coming up heads (I do believe it's safe to interchange them in that fashion ...Yes?).

The fun starts when you look at the odds of a coin coming up heads if it's flipped (oh lets say...) 3 times ... Because it is still 50/50 due to each flip being a separate event with 2 possible outcomes.

So I have a bit of trouble getting my head around the idea that the MTBF of 3 devices, is lower than the MTBF of 1 device. When they all individually have the same odds (statistically 0 until age X) of failure at any one given point in time.

superboyac:
OK server experts, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the configuration shown below:

So just to summarize, I want a server at home.  My needs are simple, but because I'm so unreasonably picky and overengineer things, I make a big show out of it.  I basically want a really big external hard drive.  In this case, the really big external drive is the server, and the bigness comes from having several hard drives in the rack somewhere.  That's the clearest way to describe what I want.

FYI...I have no idea what most of the stuff shown on that list is.

40hz:

OK server experts, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the configuration...

-superboyac (August 30, 2011, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

8) ;)

superboyac:
Ha!!  brilliant.  Reminds me of an idiotic question I was asked once by a supervisor:
"Why did you make this mistake?"

I just stared at him silently for a while, then I managed to say, "Well...it's not like I did it on purpose, so I don't really know what more I can say about that."

Stoic Joker:
"Why did you make this mistake?"-superboyac (August 30, 2011, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, first a crucial piece of information is missed, and then the rest of it just falls into place naturally...  :D

[Supervisors hate me]

two things bugging me about that config. It's a rack system, why? It's much easier to stuff a tower in a corner somewhere. Rack systems require a...Rack. Which is going to take up a good bit of room, or it'll have to sit on top of something large/flat. Which is still not a stellar option as cooling could get tricky.

6 drive bays with 4 1TB drives and 2 emptys, doesn't sound like a lot of room for expansion. I thought you were after something like 13TB+??

Although you could go with a Gen III 4U PowerEdge 2900 with 10 Drive slots...That'll give you some room to grow. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version