ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Building a home server. Please help, DC!

<< < (21/36) > >>

lotusrootstarch:
HAHAHA. Indeed. But there is no commercial grade NAS, only SAN. :D  Using NAS for a serious business is like asking for trouble.

tomos:
as someone who has absolutely no clue, I'm getting mixed messages reading this thread -

* dont go the expensive server route
* do use NAS
* using NAS for serious business is like asking for trouble
if he has the money why shouldnt he get a business solution if it's more dependable?
or does it cost an arm and a leg more?

lotusrootstarch:
does it cost an arm and a leg more
--- End quote ---
Definitely.

I believe all the above discussion was about just setting up a home theater, not trying to start up a baby YouTube-alike business. ROFL.

superboyac:
as someone who has absolutely no clue, I'm getting mixed messages reading this thread -

* dont go the expensive server route
* do use NAS
* using NAS for serious business is like asking for trouble
if he has the money why shouldnt he get a business solution if it's more dependable?
or does it cost an arm and a leg more?
-tomos (September 01, 2011, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks tomos.  That's how I feel also.  Oshyan is right also, I am overkilling this.  But I know that, this is how I work: I overkill to the extreme, and then start paring away.  It's how I learn things.

So here is where I'm at now:
I'm probably NOT going to get a server, and just a NAS.

I would prefer to get commercial quality, as I too don't like consumer quality.  But if it's not available or if it's like twice as expensive, then it's not worth it.  But I do like commercial quality in an eccentric way.

I still may buy server, but I'm letting go of that.  It sounds like a NAS connected to my router with my desktop managing whatever I have to do with it is the solution.

And why is using a NAS for serious business trouble?  That is such a vague statement, it makes no sense to me.  What does "serious business" mean?  It's just files and folders to me, and moving them around, renaming them, copying them...what makes something more serious than another thing?

Stoic Joker:
...what makes something more serious than another thing?-superboyac (September 01, 2011, 11:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

The desire to still have it available after something goes wrong.

95% of the businesses that lose their data go out of business within 3 years. <-That was critical information going poof!)

Can you redefine the actual requirements for the project for us? I keep thinking you are wanting to get like 13+TB of data stored in a (long term) stable environment. But I could be off in the weeds a bit. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version